Potbelly Pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mike, Aug 13, 2005.

1. mike

mike Well-Known Member

My wife found a potbelly pig running lose down the road a few months ago, and we have not been able to find out who he belongs too. Well he has been fun having aroung our farm, he just roams around spending most of the time with the horses. My question is what to do with him for the winter? What do we need to do for this little guy? Any help would be great! :)

2. Lararose

Lararose Adams Nebraska

My experience with pot bellies isn't huge, but we have had one for our work mascot for twelve years and he passed away this past winter. He hated the cold and always suffered during our Nebraska winters even though we brought him inside at the coldest times. He was prone to urinary tract infections in the winter and we had to give him warmed water during that time. I would advise you to winter him in the warmest area you can and make sure his water intake is adequate. They are tropical pigs and do love the heat of the summer though! We have a new pot belly mascot to replace Hamlet and he is a cutie. This will be his first winter with us. Good luck!

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

depends on what you want him for- meat or a pet.

i keep two as pets, but have come to the conclusion that they far better meat animals. as the poster above said, they are a tropical animal, and should have heated shelter for the winter. lacking that, shelter from the wind and cold, with plenty of hay to burrow in. my old, crippled gilt gets pneumonia almost every winter, and as above, is prone to urinary tract infections. this occurs mainly becuse they are unwilling to go out in the cold to urinate until they absolutely have to, same with the pneu.- lack of movement makes her prone to it. frequent constipation too. a major problem with many pots is overfeeding them- in general most pet pigs get fed too much (mostly dog food), so they get really obese and die from that in about 3 years. if you can keep their weight down, they live a lot longer, and are very intelligent and trainable. i don't feed mine anything most of the year, as they free range and find plenty to eat that way. i still have a struggle with finding the right feeding regimen for winter. perhaps the person above who had one for 12 years may have some ideas to share about that.

if you intend to keep it for meat/ breeding purposes, there are others on this board who are quite good at it.