Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I was given a pretty large potbelly gilt. I am wanting to breed her to a more meat type boar, but not wanting to hurt her. She is close to 2 years old and weighs around 250. She is in good shape. Any feeder hogs? Or should I stick with another PBP partner?

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello! I was given a pretty large potbelly gilt. I am wanting to breed her to a more meat type boar, but not wanting to hurt her. She is close to 2 years old and weighs around 250. She is in good shape. Any feeder hogs? Or should I stick with another PBP partner?

Thanks!
Also, I doubt she is 250 and if so, either she is a cross herself, or is quite obese. A fat mamma won't breed well and tends to have more major complications. Could you perhaps share a picture so I could better judge? The breed standard for a healthy potbelly weight maxes out at about 120 pounds. Some are just bigger bodied, but most of the heavy ones are quite fat. Not trying to be rude, just helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I doubt she is 250 and if so, either she is a cross herself, or is quite obese. A fat mamma won't breed well and tends to have more major complications. Could you perhaps share a picture so I could better judge? The breed standard for a healthy potbelly weight maxes out at about 120 pounds. Some are just bigger bodied, but most of the heavy ones are quite fat. Not trying to be rude, just helpful.
Everything I’ve read said that even if you breed to a younger small beef pig, the babies will still be too big for a smaller pig, bc they are large pigs. Has that not been your experience? My pig is not obese. She was when I got her.. the sweater pit is 80#

·
Registered
2,128 Posts

Thanks!
Don't try to breed her with a Large Hog. Just won't work. If you hve a Duroc etc. female you can breed with a smaller boar. Best to breed with Popbelly Boar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts