Potbellied baby??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Mar 20, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

My little baby alpine doe had a little potbelly tonight. Do you think it was from all the hay she eats? I am only feeding her milk in the AM in an effort to wean her. She was wormed last week w/ Ivomec orally. Any thoughts??

2. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

She sounds fine. Just watch her, if it continues for over four days that's when you should worry. Even then, sometimes babies have big tummies just because they get a little too much to eat. You can try some pepto tabs or gas-x if it seems painful to her. Is the hay she's eating grassy? That could be the problem. If that is the problem, then try mixing a little alfalfa into her grass hay. That should reduce the swelling.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Do you vaccinate for enterotoxemia? If the belly feels bloated and sloshy than it is the first sign.

How old a kid are you weaning? Is she being offered anything other than hay? Hopefully it's alfalfa.

Do you use cocci prevention? The thin over the body, pot bellied kids we see each spring are usually riddled with cocci. A fecal sample would be the eaisest way to find out what is going on in the doeling. About 10$ at most vets. Vicki

4. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I'm feeding them a real nice pretty alfalfa mix that my neighbor feeds their goats w/ no problems. I have to go to the co-op today anyway and when I do I'll be sure to get something for coccidi. I am feeding them a 16% pellet to. The Nanny has clumpy stools. Like firm cow manure or something. Looks like a log. Any thoughts on that? And the other baby still has the runs. I might just give everyone a coccidi treatment and be safe! Do you think everyone could need wormed again? I wormed last week. The black baby has a pot belly but her stools look ok almost like little blackberries. Thanks!

5. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi allenslabs,

Pot bellied COULD be a description of their appearance when they have parasites. Hay belly or bloat could be some of the other reasons. The bellies would feel hard to you if you gently press on them if it were bloat. Since you have two others that also sound like parasites I would lean in that direction. In our part of the country, Coccidiosis is very common. Usually goats develop an immunity, so I wouldn't expect it to be Coccidiosis in the adult nanny (We generall consider clumpy stools as the early stage of scours). In our area, my first guess would be parasites in all three and always a good chance for Coccidiosis in the young ones too. I would get fecal samples tested so that you will know exactly what you are or are not dealing with. Not all wormers are effective against all parasites and there is always the possibility of built up resistance. If you worm again, at least use a wormer from a different family and make sure that your dosage is high enough. Many times the lack of effectiveness in wormers is from under calculation of the dosage.

For Coccidiosis, we have found Corid great for our cows, but not an effective treatment for goats. We use Sulfadimethoxine and some brands are Di-Methox and Albon.

We use Kaopectate or PeptoBismol to help control the scours because they can dehydrate quickly. However, scours is only a symptom, not the cause of the problem. You will have to treat both.

Scours and parasites can take a goat down quickly so I wouldn't delay.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.