Potbellie pigs???

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by moopups, Aug 1, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Are they worth the trouble? Are they smarter than regular pigs? Isn't it nice to see a new subject on the main board? What do they taste like? How much bacon is normal?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Mitch, After you have trained your pig to sit on a chair and share your meals with you, you would do him in and eat him? Why couldn't you turn the whole pig into bacon? Once you have everything cut into slabs and smoked then silced real thin wouldn't most of it taste like bacon? You could fry a lardy slice right next to a solid lean slice to even the score and grease the skillet.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I've been eating potbellies for about 8 years. I dont castrate, and the animals are pastured so they are lean enough, the "bacon" meat goes into sausage. The flavor is more akin to beef than commercial pork

4. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I would also like to get a few. As livestock at first at least "pets" And maybe butcher or have them butchered later. I think it would give the good parts of pigs (uprooting, tilling, etc) and the satisfaction of having more variety, without the massiveness of other pigs. I may consider getting some feeder pigs though. Right now my pig plans are on hold temporarily, as I make way for mini donkeys I found for sale. Then it will be back to the pigs...

5. QTee

QTee I love country living!

So I'm not sure what this means...are potbellie pigs real fatty and not good for meat and thier meat doesn't taste like pork? :confused:

6. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

George, do you think they would crossbreed well with feral pigs?

7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Why do you not castrate? Does this cause the pig to stay leaner? Is being leaner what gives it a beefier taste?

8. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Where did that come from?

One of our pigs was sold and cooked for July 4th, the report back was that he was very good eats and very lean, the other I expect to kill around Oct 23rd, and hang in a smoke house, these are potbelly/hamshire cosses, and the remaining pig is gettimg big now, he is over 100lbs easy. We have free ranged them and kept them close to the house by calling them in for food treats.

9. GeorgeK

I've seen potbellies try to mate with a burro, so I'm sure they would try to mate whatever

10. GeorgeK

I raise them to be in a wild flock. May The best man (boar) win. They exercise more if not castrated, it's fun to watch their "dance of dominance". If I don't want one to be able to spread its genes, it gets invited to dinner.

11. GeorgeK

NO! this is a myth attempting to be spread by the "pigs are pets"/ peta retards. These are people who literally like to sleep with pigs and they think if they can convince people they aren't worth eating, then people wont eat their "little friends". That said, it is easy to overfeed any pig, and a smaller breed is the easiest. There is an obesity gene prevalent among all breeds of pig. I found those that tend toward easy obesity, also tend to make poor mothers. They were weeded out of my herd's genepool for that reason.