Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth the trouble? Are they smarter than regular pigs? Isn't it nice to see a new subject on the main board? What do they taste like? How much bacon is normal?

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
Mitch, After you have trained your pig to sit on a chair and share your meals with you, you would do him in and eat him? Why couldn't you turn the whole pig into bacon? Once you have everything cut into slabs and smoked then silced real thin wouldn't most of it taste like bacon? You could fry a lardy slice right next to a solid lean slice to even the score and grease the skillet.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've been eating potbellies for about 8 years. I dont castrate, and the animals are pastured so they are lean enough, the "bacon" meat goes into sausage. The flavor is more akin to beef than commercial pork

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would also like to get a few. As livestock at first at least "pets" And maybe butcher or have them butchered later. I think it would give the good parts of pigs (uprooting, tilling, etc) and the satisfaction of having more variety, without the massiveness of other pigs. I may consider getting some feeder pigs though. Right now my pig plans are on hold temporarily, as I make way for mini donkeys I found for sale. Then it will be back to the pigs...

·
I love country living!
216 Posts
So I'm not sure what this means...are potbellie pigs real fatty and not good for meat and thier meat doesn't taste like pork? :confused:

·
Registered
311 Posts
GeorgeK said:
I've been eating potbellies for about 8 years. I dont castrate, and the animals are pastured so they are lean enough, the "bacon" meat goes into sausage. The flavor is more akin to beef than commercial pork
George, do you think they would crossbreed well with feral pigs?

·
Big Bird
2,173 Posts
GeorgeK said:

Why do you not castrate? Does this cause the pig to stay leaner? Is being leaner what gives it a beefier taste?

·
Registered
594 Posts
QTee said:
So I'm not sure what this means...are potbellie pigs real fatty and not good for meat and thier meat doesn't taste like pork? :confused:
Where did that come from?

One of our pigs was sold and cooked for July 4th, the report back was that he was very good eats and very lean, the other I expect to kill around Oct 23rd, and hang in a smoke house, these are potbelly/hamshire cosses, and the remaining pig is gettimg big now, he is over 100lbs easy. We have free ranged them and kept them close to the house by calling them in for food treats.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I raise them to be in a wild flock. May The best man (boar) win. They exercise more if not castrated, it's fun to watch their "dance of dominance". If I don't want one to be able to spread its genes, it gets invited to dinner.

DayBird said:
Why do you not castrate? Does this cause the pig to stay leaner? Is being leaner what gives it a beefier taste?

·
Registered
851 Posts
NO! this is a myth attempting to be spread by the "pigs are pets"/ peta retards. These are people who literally like to sleep with pigs and they think if they can convince people they aren't worth eating, then people wont eat their "little friends". That said, it is easy to overfeed any pig, and a smaller breed is the easiest. There is an obesity gene prevalent among all breeds of pig. I found those that tend toward easy obesity, also tend to make poor mothers. They were weeded out of my herd's genepool for that reason.

QTee said:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts