potatos/tomatoes ??? what the...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MELOC, Jul 14, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i was checking out some stuff in the garden today and i found something really weird. i found what looks like a potato plant with tomatoes on it. :shrug:

i tried raising potatos in mulch. it worked for half a row until i ran short so i mulched a lot less with the other row and a half. due to shallow mulching, i had some very high potato stalks that laid over. to set the stage a bit more, i commonly place "leftover" plants at the end of a row if the row they normally are planted in is full. it is possible i stuck a tomatoe plant at the end of the potato row but unikely as i heard one should not do that.

anyhow, i was looking at the droopy "potato" stalk which had broken away from the main stalk under its weight and was laying on the soil. it is a bit wilty as it is somewhat damaged and i was debating what to do with it when i noticed it had three fruits on it. they look like tomatoes to me.

i have seen multi-veggie plants in magazines before but never in person. i am still unsure what is going on. i broke off a piece of leaf to see if it had any scent like a tomatoe plant would and it did not. every tomatoe plant i have ever smelled is somewhat pungent.

it is not time to dig that row of potatos yet so i did not check for them in the mulch or soil.

what is going on here, lol?

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Its a potato. All potatoes produce small tomato looking fruits, especially yukon gold potatoes. The fruit is toxic.

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

thanks for the warning. i think they were yukon gold. i have never seen fruit on a potato before but i have not grown them for many years.

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Huh, never seen that either! I do have potato-leafed tomatoes though!

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

me either. me too. :shrug: