potatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fordson major, Aug 29, 2004.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we picked up a line of old potataoe equipment and are looking at putting an acre of spuds in next year.how many pounds of seed taters do you need ?also heard that you can harvest garlic with the digger!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I DO NOT KNOW
    But you will have about 2 1/2 miles of rows. That's a long row to hoe. If you plant them a foot apart and cut each seed potato into 3 pieces you will need around 4200 seed potatoes. Go count the potatoes in a ten pound sack and divide the number into 4200 then multiply the answer by ten. By golly, that's gonna take a pretty good piece of change for seed potatoes.

3. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I noticed at the Whole Foods market sacks of yellow (Yuk G.?) and red little potatoes. I don't remember being put off by price. Next year, I was going to get those instead of seed potatoes for our garden which is much less than an acre. As long as you get organic, they shouldn't be treated to inhibit sprouting. Ours never hang around the kitchen long enough to test that theory. :haha:

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

5 pounds of seed potatoes can usually be cut into 50 pieces with at least 2 eyes per piece. To plant 4,200 hills, one would need 84 pounds. However, rule of thumb is 100 pounds per acre. Many big companies have prices for 50 and 100 pounds and quite reasonable.

Martin