Potatoes toxic to pigs?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Paula, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

A friend told us this, but I can't find anything about it. Any of you know? I hope they're not too toxic b/c our 4 just devoured a small patch, some of which were green. I would assume if they are toxic it would be the green ones because of the alkaloids? Don't care too much about 3 of the pigs - they're going for slaughter soon - though we'd lose a chunk of money on them. The one I do care about is our big Tam boar.

2. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

the green vegetation and green tubers contain solanine which is a toxic alkaloid......

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Yes, they can be highly toxic unless cooked. I have now come across two people who have killed their pigs with feeding raw potato - one was a whole litter of just-weaned Kunes.

Hopefully your pigs didn't get enough in one hit for it to be a problem.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Would it be too late to give the pigs activated charcoal?

5. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I've fed my pigs raw potatoes and peelings. Never had a problem, but I've never fed them a huge amount at once either. First I've heard of it.

Pete

6. diehard47

diehard47 Well-Known Member

I hope your not talkin about sweet potatoes,, cause mine just ate a whole 60bushel bin. They seem fine and might like more lol

7. mrmarshallb

mrmarshallb New Member

You need to cook the potatoes first. Boil em up in a outdoor turkey fryer is what I do. If you don't cook em the starch isnt converted so they arent getting much of anything out of it, and yes it is potentially toxic in larger amounts if not cooked.

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

They ate them 7 hours ago: how do your pigs look now? Any bellyaches?