Potatoes in a Bucket

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by piddler, Jun 11, 2005.

1. piddler

piddler Member

Hi everybody,
    I'm sure someone has already done this before, but I thought I would try it to see if it worked. I took some 5 gallon buckets, drilled holes in the bottom for drainage. Next I put about 5 or 6 inches of dirt in the bottom and planted my potatoes in them. As the potato is growing, I will add more dirt to the bucket until it gets to the top. I will then let the plant bloom. Then, when I get ready for potatoes, I'll just dump the bucket out and hope there are a lot of potatoes in it.
    Like I said, I'm sure someone has tried this before. If you have, let me know how much success you had with it. I don't have much room for a garden anymore and I thought this might save some space. I also have carrots and lettuce growing in my hanging flower pots,(to keep the rabbits away, and to conserve space).
    Pidler

2. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I like that idea try it. Keep us posted. I have a rabbit problem too. And kinda of a mole problem the dogs can't get em all!! I have to think up of different way to plant too. I was thinking about a pipe for tomato plants.

3. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I had a similar idea, only bigger, using plastic garbage cans with wheels. I planted 4 different kinds of potatoes (early, middle, late and fingerling.) Growth topside seemed just fine, but when I finally went to harvest them, there were very few more potatoes than I planted in the first place. I was totally bummed. My plan, you see, was to store them in the same garbage cans (nestled in clean dry straw), covers on, around back on the north side of the house. Instant root cellar. I do not know if the watering was irratic, or the cans got too hot in the sun, or if there was too much nutrition in the soil and straw or not enough or wrong Ph.

This year, I have formed a square area between 4 bales of straw and have planted only volunteer potato plants within -- not going to spend any fancy money on potato stock again!

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Trap those rabbits and have them with potatoes.....

We had a rabbit at our cabin that we call Roger....well actually Regina and now we have lots of the buggers....my son is tryng to catch one with daddy right now!

People have done potatoes in tires on here with success...do a search on it!

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

My neighbor, limhyl, did some in pots like that this year. I believe she said she wasn't getting much in the way of potatoes, though.

I did the mulch planting, and I've got potatoes coming out of my ears.

The two of us bought the same potatoes, same time, same place, and we live maybe 1/2 mile apart, max.

Meg

6. piddler

piddler Member

Hey again,
    That's all some interesting information. I am going to try it with some different things such as top soil in one, mulch in one, straw in another, and so on. And as far as the rabbits go...I think I WILL have those with the potatoes this fall!
    Thanks,
    Piddler