Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planted potatoes for the first time this year.

A couple of weeks ago, I dug some up and they sat on my counter until this past Thursday when I fried them for breakfast (for dinner :) ) They were really good!

This weekend I was cooking a roast and went to the garden and dug up some more. I came in, washed them, cut them up and put them in the crockpot with the roast.

After 8 hours, they were still not done. Wierd taste. Kind of crunchy. Pretty awful. :shrug:

My theory is that it has something to do with the freshness and/or starch level in the potatoes. Maybe they needed to cure for a few days before I cooked them?

I know the liquid in the crockpot got to at least 160 degrees. I have made lots of roasts with potatoes before and never had this problem. They are usually really soft and good.

Anyone had this happen before or know about any problems using fresh potatoes?

Thanks!

Beth

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I don't have the explanation as to why this happens.....but you're right...fresh potatoes in a crockpot are not a good idea. Horrible flavor and crunchiness.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Yep, our new potatoes always take much longer to cook. My MIL's, too.

I let them rest for a week or more. Seems to help. Of course then they aren't new :rolleyes:

Seems like you could boil the daylights out of them & they're still crunchy. Then they're falling apart into potato mush.

Let 'em rest!

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Hmmm! I roasted a chicken and some of the potatos- all in same pot, all dug up same day (of roasting), two diff kinds but this occured in both types, some perhaps cooked 'longer' since further away from chicken- were still undone after three hours (2 250 1 350). Not definitely the bigger ones. Chicken cooked fine!

I have heard you can't cook potatos withtomatos- have to cook the pot first before adding teh toms. Anyone know if this istrue?

·
Registered
615 Posts
For me it seems that potatoes take longer than anything else in a crock pot. They also seem to lose in flavor by cooking so long. I just don't cook potatoes in it.

We've been eating fresh potatoes from the garden for the past 3 weeks now with no problem. We love fresh boiled or roasted potatoes with butter, rosemary and sweet basil on them. We never have to age them before cooking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts