potatoes and varmints

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mamagoose, Dec 28, 2004.

1. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Hope you all are enjoying the holidays!
    I need to expand my garden area, problem is I'll have to expand far away from the house. Deer do not come into my current vegetable garden, just have a minor rabbit problem. I was thinking the potatoes would be a good move, do deer or rabbits bother them? I know my corn would never survive. I grow gourds occasionally, would they be bothered by the deer or rabbits? Fencing would not be an option. Any other suggestions?

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I have windchimes and old computor or music cd's hanging around the garden. The noise and movement scares the birds out of the garden, might work on deer and rabbits too. Also if you have a dog, collect the hair they shed, and place it around the perimeter of the garden.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I put up a great horned owl decoy. You can find these in sporting good stores. It scares birds away. The hair of the dog is a good idea as pointed out.
    Rabbits don't generally chew on potatoe plants that I've seen. Not too many things chew on the tubers if they are well covered.
    If you had the inclination to do this, you could put out a sprinkler system and time it to come on with a movement switch at night. That should scare off some of the rabbits, but deer might eventually get used to the 'shower'.

4. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies! Every time I've seen deer (quite often) they are in the middle or other end of this field, but maybe they heard me coming. Then again, near where I want to plant is where I tack my horses, so the dog hangs out there a lot. There are dens of rabbits along the brushy side. I could string the cd's up and I've always "wanted" one of those owls, lol. I will try all of these suggestions, I have dog hair in the spring when I brush him out and have never put it to good use, but I suppose the birds do. I think I'll start out with "cheap" leftover grocery potatoes and gourd seed and maybe even throw in some sunflowers in this spot. It's where my roundpen ends and our little hayfield begins and DH can't mow right up to the roundpen anyway. Maybe I can get the gourds to grow up the roundpen, plant the potatoes next and then some giant sunflowers. There, the sunflowers should face south and west and I would see them every day from the driveway! It's hard to believe we have 80 acres and I am "squoze" on garden space, but the sunny spots are goat pasture, horse pasture or hayfield. We have a young orchard, but it too, is in deer country. I've often thought maybe I could plant non-edibles like gourds along the driveway, but it is so rocky (man-made from the gas company) and it would probably just tempt the goats to go through the fence and prune all my plants. If the electric fence is off for long enough, they figure it out. Thanks again! Oh, on the cd's: I tried using them for plant markers as suggested in a magazine and most of them broke off the first summer. Maybe it was the dog running through, but I won't do that again.

5. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Plant things in the far-away garden that you know deer won't
    eat and save the near garden for the other things. They
    don't bother onion family members, including garlic, onions,
    leeks and such, nor rhubarb, and in my experience, haven't
    gone after asparagus.
    You could grow gourds vertically in your near garden and then
    they won't take up much space...grow as many veggies as
    possible vertically...beans, peas, cukes, and stake tomatoes,
    etc. so that they can be planted closer together to give you
    more veggies per square foot.
    Also, if you cover low crops with that plastic netting, the d
    deer can't chew through it.
    Good luck.
    Ann

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

They have a new type of temporary Fence to keep Deer out called Plot Saver,cheap easy and works.

big rockpile

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Rock,wow!One of the most valuable pieces of advice Ive ever picked up.If all the web stories are true,this is a great product!
    BooBoo