Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely somewhere out there there is some kind of potato hill maker. What would be ideal would be a modified blade in a V shape with 3-point hitch capability. The point of the V would be open to allow the dirt to exit in an elongated hill. Several hundred feet of hill gets rather old when you are making it with a rake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to where to look for something like this? My blistered hands and aching back are desperately seeking this info.

Of course it is best to use a middle buster or other furrower to make a furrow to plant into. Then as you add dirt to the furrow it becomes level.

As stated, hiller attachments by themselves on a tool bar, or a cultivaor with hiller discs on a tool bar, are used throw additional dirt to the plants to hill them up.

Hillers are typically mounted discs on a shank that are angled and throw the dirt toward the row. I expect a person might be able to find a salvage grain drill and use some of the disc furrowers off of them to mount for use as hillers. Might take several, as they will probably be worn down quite a bit.

I have an old pull type hiller that does two rows at once. On each side of each row there is a set of four discs that throw the dirt to the row. The disc gangs are angled as well as tilted.

It is on iron wheels and can be set by levers to force the discs in shallow or deep.

A set on a tool bar could also be adjustable and be used to cover peanut vines as they grow.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.