Potato Help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Bluecreekrog, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

I'm gonna plant 'taters tomorrow and had a question. I wanted to do the loose mulch thing with my spuds this year, but I don't have any straw or hay, will corn stalks work? I will put some dirt over them.

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The trick, of course, is to keep the growing new potatos from being exposed to sunlight. I have visions of a good rainfall washing the dirt from between the cornstalks so that sun can get in and turn the little spuds green and bitter.

3. I to want to try the potatoes in a tub with straw. I also don't have any straw. If I start with some dirt on the bottom, can I use sawdust (ie stall bedding) instead?

4. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Well as usual, "the best laid plans", Had to repair the radiator in Sis's car, so didn't get to the taters. Will try again this week. I don't think used sawdust bedding will work, too much nitrigen. I fertilized potatos one year and they were very scaby, not worth digging.
    Rog