potato fruit?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by bugstabber, Jul 23, 2004.

1. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Good or bad, we'll see but a lot of my potatoes bloomed this summer. I planted Yukon Gold, plus some red ones that I don't remember the variety. (both MN certified seed potatoes) A few of the plants have fruit growing from the top of the plant. They look like a little cluster of tomatoes, they're that color of green. Why did they do that, and should I do anything about the fruits? Thanks.

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

They indeed are fruit and there are seeds inside them. (More properly, they should be called berries.) After all, potatoes are a normal flowering plant although real early varieties sometimes do not bloom under certain conditions. Potato researchers are constantly planting them in hopes of finding a better one or one that is more resistant to diseases and so on. It takes 3 years to get a tuber big enough to eat and will not be the same as the parent.

There is no evidence that allowing the berries to remain or picking them has any affect on the harvest. The one thing that is known is that they are highly poisonous. You don't want to even think about eating them! They contain the deadly poison solanine, same as their nightshade cousins.

Martin

3. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Yikes! I wonder if they could be processed into a Weapon of Mashed Destruction???

:haha:

4. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Thanks Paquebot, I think I might just cut them off. Glad you mentioned that they were poisonous, learn something everyday!

And John in HOuston, do you suppose they would then be Spud Missles?

5. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Bada boom, bada bing!