Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a big potato cuber, the one that has a cast iron frame with a CI long handle that looks like a cats tail, 4 legs and a screen that cubes taters at 1/2in.
I thought it took too long for the 1/2in cubes to fry, so I bought from Lehmans a 1/4in screen. Now I cant hardly get a tater through it. Is it more resistance do to more knives being involved?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Makes sense. And/or dull blades. Mon has one and I hate it. I got a veg-o-matic at a yard sale for $1 and it's great. Way faster and easier than messing with the long handle and having to move the taters etc.

Wade

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's why I bought the cuber. When I decide to have a mess of taters, which isn't often I have a MESS of them. Takes too much time to cut them. Ill go through a 5lb bag this month, and I likely wont buy another till Dec.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
But your only doing half the cutting if you cube then cut the pieces in half.

We eat a lot of taters here.

Every which way but burnt...

Get ya a mandolin you can use it for more then the tatters, you won't have fries but a fried taters a fried tater.

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Well if the four legs have pads on the feet to prevent skidding around you may already have a wall mounted unit but rubber pads may be hiding the holes to mount it.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I use a 'food processor' when I want thin sliced potatoes, and than fry them in butter, that works like a charm.
And turn the blade over if I want to just do hash brown taters. Works great that way also, they won't be long strings of potatoes for the hash browns, but it will do. LOL

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never thought of frying taters in butter. I fry in olive oil.\
The cuber dosent have rubber pads on the legs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts