Homesteading Forum banner

Potato Bugs !!!

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Caz 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any deterrents or pesticides that deter potato bugs. Picking them off is only good until they get going and then not achievable. Don't like pesticides but I want potatoes. Sevin doesn't hardly slow them down. I am licensed pesticide applicator if that matters. Thanks in advance. John

#5 ·
I've only ever hand picked them off...at least daily or more often. That way they can't get mature enough to reproduce, I'm guessing. You must be consistent about doing it, however.
Of course, if you are growing an acres worth, that would be totally impractical.

#6 ·
I used Potato Beetle Beater with spinosad. Within a couple of days they were gone.

Reactions: Caz
#7 ·
I guess potato bugs are notorious for developing a tolerance to certain pesticides. If they are just hatching and you can catch them that small I start with Bt. Then I spray with pyrethrin. Then if any survive that I hit them with neem. Once they get that hard shell as adults they are harder to kill. So the trick is to catch them early and alternate sprays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.