Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are not able to afford a $20k well this year but want to have potable water as we work to improve our land. We are going to use our RV during these improvements so we can stay longer and want to have steady pressurized water. Our thinking is we have 2-ICB tanks connected to a 45psi 115v external RV water pump and connect that to a well pressure tank. We then connect a hose from pressure tank to the city water inlet on our RV and wha la! Pressurized water. What do ya'll think? Anyone done this? Our water source is limited and we can't afford to waste and dump unused water when we leave the property for weeks on end. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
We haul our water in ourselves, & store it in storage tanks; a pressure pump feeds the house (thru a tunnel from the shed) and other needs. We built a utility shed to hold all the "utilities", for these benefits:
  • everything warm, safe, dry
  • water tanks in "darkness", so no algae
  • water, solar/electrical, washer/dryer, tools ... all locked up
Solar panels are built onto side of shed facing south; weather monitor installed on top.

With some planning, this same water hauling system becomes your fire protection ... depending on how rural you are, you might need to be your own fire department. You can't assume your local vfd will be able to save anything more than your foundation, given time and distances involved for rural living.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Here is my set up, the deck makes thing a lot better the roof catches water And fills the trash cans , I just fill the trailer tank with filtered water .
I used a 275 g tote but it’s in the house now .
I have a well but no pump yet , my water system is very expense
the trailer and house is off grid solar .
If it dosent rain I have a spring not far from the house or I fill a tote at home and bring the water with me I use 30 gallons for a weekend so the rain keeps up most of the time
a few water gathering pics 👍

·
Registered
729 Posts
nope any one not in dippers works at my house .
I’ve got 15 kids .
I gather 120 gallons at a time with buckets
then pump with a inline filter into the tanks in the house.
I fill Newmins ice tea jugs with water I have 30 or so .
I can full them at home or at the spring .
The little scrawny girl with the curls is a tough .
I don’t need a Berkeley with spring water .

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here is my set up, the deck makes thing a lot better the roof catches water And fills the trash cans , I just fill the trailer tank with filtered water .
If it dosent rain I have a spring not far from the house or I fill a tote at home and bring the water with me I use 30 gallons for a weekend so the rain keeps up most of the time
a few water gathering pics 👍 View attachment 94892 View attachment 94893 View attachment 94894
View attachment 94891
Wellbuilt you could just pump out of the creek with small marine 12 volt bilge pump at 4:30 in this video I demonstrate its use.

I was pumping through a small pipe through a sawyer filter if you had a larger pipe and small head height IE less than 10 feet A small bilge pump could provide about 10 gallons per minute.

Here is another video where I use a marine bilge pump to fill water tanks in my old truck from a spring tank.

·
Registered
729 Posts
A few little girls with homer buckets can haul way more water then a pump .
It takes for ever to pump water thru the hose the little girl with the curly hair can move 16 gallons a minute 👍 once I get the water to the house I pump with a 1/2 hp pump and it takes about a hour to empty a 275 gallon tank .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it dosent rain I have a spring not far from the house or I fill a tote at home and bring the water with me I use 30 gallons for a weekend so the rain keeps up most of the
We haul our water in ourselves, & store it in storage tanks; a pressure pump feeds the house (thru a tunnel from the shed) and other needs. We built a utility shed to hold all the "utilities", for these benefits:
Solar panels are built onto side of shed facing south; weather monitor installed on top.

With some planning, this same water hauling system becomes your fire protection ... depending on how rural you are, you might need to be your own fire department. You can't assume your local vfd will be able to save anything more than your foundation, given time and distances involved for rural living.

I don't need a pressure tank? I can use the pressure pump to go right into the city water inlet on the RV? What brand and model pressure pump do you use? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
729 Posts
That is why I just pump into my holding tank .
I’m using a harbor freight inline pump now it pumps a gallon a min into the trailer tank and the trailer pump pressurize the water system plus it doesn’t freeze as easily inside
in the cabin I have a 120 volt sure flow pump with a filter in front and behind it .

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.