Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,617 Posts
They are a very fatty type pigs. Great, I have heard from a chef I know, for bacon. I've never eaten one and don't have plans to as we are not bacon lovers. I prefer a leaner type pork.

· Registered
3,617 Posts
r.h. in okla. said:
Have you people read the latest issue of Countryside. There were several people who responded to the article of buying and eating pot bellied pigs. They were very upset about the article. Just couldn't believe that pets should be eaten.
When I read the original question I thought of possible replies and have been surprised there have been no inflammatory posts about eating pot belly pigs. Glad this group is more stable than that.

· Registered
3,617 Posts
COUNTRYSIDERTX said:
They are a small mag. and don't have the staff to check out everything. If they did the price would go up and I don't want that.
Being a publisher they will need to cough up the resources to edit information or face grave consequences if one of their readers suffers due to their negligence. I am not a subscriber and I've only read the magazine once so I am not saying they do or don't edit the content- but there isn't much of a distance from printing misinformation and being useless to someone needing information.

· Registered
3,617 Posts
cowgirlone said:
I remember a discussion awhile back about people getting the pot belly pigs from the humane society and taking them home for meat. Seems like it didn't go over well with some of the posters.
I can see where that wouldn't go over well. There is an ethical consideration there that wasn't in this original post. I would also have problems with someone going to the Humane Society for lunch- or animal experimentation- or whatever aside from adopting a pet. There is an implicit understanding that the Humane Society exists for the welfare of animals. Of course I don't see a problem withsome making a destructive pet pig into dinner. I guess it all balances out in the end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.