pot belly crosses

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Oxankle, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

George;

This feral pig bred one of your potbellies and only produced one piglet?

You sure it was a pig?
    Ox

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

one that is obviously not pure potbelly. it was striped when it was real little, plus the ones that wander off into the woods might meet up with some happy to meet them coyotes
    If i remember the sow brought back four other littermates with this particular boar, but the rest look so much like the other pigs there really isn't anything about them, that makes me sure of who's who and here the sows nurse communally, so nursing doesn't help tell either

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Well have you noticed anymore striped piglets, if so they are probly his littlermates, the bilological ones,, but I suspect that you havn' or I am sure that you would have told. He sounds cool though, what color stripes? See ya, bye.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

only the one striped one (that made it out of the woods, there were possibly more), but the stripes faded. He was off white/grey on white. Now he is light greyish yellow except for white feet and tail

5. Lost-Nation

Lost-Nation Member

That'd be me who originally contacted George! I'm a dairy goat farmer for the most part, but also raise meat animals on my extra goat milk, to sell/barter/etc., to help support my dairy goat habit. :D

& BTW, George - unless my gilt was ALSO bred by a fly-by-night feral - I got a striped piglet, too! Maybe a PB-throwback from their feral days?

My sow (Duroc) was purchased as a feeder & was originally supposed to go for butcher. I liked her laid-back temperament so much, I decided to keep her & see abt finding her a husband . . . esp. since it's such a pain to find feeders when you need them. She was SUPPOSED to go down the road to the neighbors' for breeding (Hampshire-X boar, I think?), but . . . imagine our surprise when I discovered a litter of 11 piglets one morning . . . especially when considering both males of this species on this farm were supposed to be ummmmmm . . . CASTRATED!

Proud papa is a PB that was supposed to be a barrow & who's just sort of hung around not doing much of anything but eating & pooping the past couple of years b/c we didn't have the heart to put him in the freezer, LOL.

So . . . now we have a litter of 11 Duroc-PBs - I told my husband we'd call them "Roc-pots", LOL. We also have 2 drop off PB boarlings . . . assuming they're full PB b/c they've been here since early October & this litter of crosses was born 11/1 - & is already the same size as the drop-offs. Those guys are itty bitty!

Anyway, so there's my story! If anyone is looking for any X-breed feeders, they're ready to go! One - maybe both of the drop-offs is available, too. Of the piglets, I still have 6 that aren't spoken for! We're located barely in MI almost right on the Ohio & Indiana borders.

Thanks George for sending me this link - I'd lost track of this site a couple of years ago & am glad to be back! I look forward to learning from everyone!

Regards,
    Sarah