Pot Bellied Pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Zuiko, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I would like to get a few pot bellied pigs, 3-6. They would run with the pygmys. I would like them for some garden work, fun/satisfaction, and maybe pork, maybe. I do not want to deal with a 200-300 lb pig though. I was thinking about getting all females, then doing AI, and butchering the males, maybe some females too, plans are sketchy... Can anybody reccomend some good books/websites with information? Thank You.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I would buy bred females. This way you could avoid the AI issue for the time being. You can always keep a young boar around, and butcher him when he has served his purpose. Seems to me, this would be a good alternative to having to keep a cranky old boar around.

3. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

I've done a lot of research on pot bellies, I want some small pigs for the reasons Zuiko mentions, but definitely for meat. Everything I have read about AI and pigs says that it doesn't work well...

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

windridgefarm.us potbellied pork is very easy

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

6. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess I could get a few bred females, or maybe get unbred ones, and get a few more. Whatever I find convinent. When do you breed for spring birth? Goats are roughly 5 months before, I think. If I got a weanling male, by breeding time, would he be ready? Then butcher him after I know they are pregnant. Any body have reccomended reading? I am not sure about my butchering skills, and how I feel about doing it. I plan on putting my 2 geese in the chicken tractor (its getting too late, I think) Then I will try butchering them (they are a noisy, and I think, a bad influence on the ducks) I think if I get the geese out, the ducks will act more like the chickens, they seem much more mellow. Then next spring I will probably get 25 broilers, and see how that goes. I would like to be able to raise some of our own meat. Thanks