Pot Bellied Pig With Mini Pig Syndrome

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by i2sweeet, Dec 31, 2005.

1. i2sweeet

i2sweeet Member

Ok, these pigs have been together about 4 months, the father and his 5 babies. All of a sudden daddy has a serious attitude problem.. We moved them to a nicer area and all was good till the little mini sows walked by and then BAM lets nip at them and nudge them in a mean manner to where the little girls are yipping and squeeling. Thought for sure that one was stuck in the fence. Any ideas???? Momma just had another litter today, so her and her babies will be joining the flock in about 2 weeks.

Leona

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

How old are the little gilts they might be coming into heat if there mother just had Another litter. Or the sow might be back in heat.. I Am not sure on this..

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yep, the daughters may be coming into heat, and probably being bred. they are fertile at a very early age.

also, there is always a certain amount of jockeying in a herd, establishing dominance and so forth. also struggles over food.

4. i2sweeet

i2sweeet Member

The babies are only 4 months old. Can they go into heat this early?

Leona

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yes. they can.

also, the males are capable of breeding back their mother before they are even weaned.

they breed almost as fast as rabbits.

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Also, most social animals have a high tolerence for the young. As the young pigs mature, the adults will place them in thier "proper" spot in the herd hierachy.