Posting Land

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Nov 14, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Deer Hunting season brings yahoo road hunters and danger sometimes to property you live on, or perhaps manage with some idea of tangible or intangbile values to keep trespassers off your property.
    Having said the above, how do ya'll post your property to keep offending hunters and trespassers away? Weekends are the worst. :rolleyes:

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Signs, like locks, keep honest people honest. That said, they also let people know that landowners may have changed and there are new rules.

For the first 3 or 4 years we bought a roll of 50 tyvek "no hunting" signs. They were cheaper by the roll and they truly stand up to weather. We used cable staples to attach them to posts/trees/etc. Sign each one and put your last name/address on them. We used those freebie address labels you get in the mail and then signed them with a signature style we don't normally use.

We coupled this with greeting any trespassers and letting them know that, although the old owners let them, we didn't want hunters at all. It took a few years. Now we can safely allow a neighbor and his son to hunt.

3. palongrifle

palongrifle Active Member

Signs are a good idea but you may also need barriers suck as a gate or fallen trees. We have a lot of ATV riders here and they simply ride around them. It will take vigilence on your part to politely (at first) regulate your land. I think, on a legal standpoint, there is nothing you can do if you catch them. The authorities will simply issue a warning then again it is up to you to catch them again. Try using a video camera also. Good luck - it is a shame it has to come to people posting property to avoid ignorant lawsuits. Oh, by the way, even if they are on your property illegally - your homeowners policy is still THEIR insurance. OUCH

4. soaring

soaring Member

I use the lavender-colored paint. I realize that it isn't used in all states. It's great because it stays on posts/tree trunks all year, can't be removed by anyone, and is very easy to apply since it comes in spray cans from Wal*Mart. Where I am, it's cheaper than the regular spray cans of other colors, but I guess it could still get expensive if you have a lot of acreage. It takes about 10 cans to go around my 80 acres, which isn't bad since it lasts all year, and I don't have to watch to make sure they haven't disappeared, like I would have to do with posted signs.

5. Janene in TX

Janene in TX Member

I have found over the years that most hunters will honor the 'leased' signs better than the 'no tresspassing/hunting' signs. Why?? Because they don't want to step on fellow hunters' toes....i.e. 'hone in on someone elses' territory'. I've had people ask if the 'lease' will be up for grabs, soon, tho. I just tell 'em the fellers that lease just re-signed their 'contract' for another year. ;-) (Even if those 'fellers' are us in the family!) HA

6. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I nearly always posted my farm land, mainly to give game wardens some extra bite if violations occurred. I always posted "No Hunting Without Written Permission".

When people would ask permission to hunt I would write down their names, addresses if not locals, and also ask to see their hunting licenses. I would not give one person permission to take a hunting party onto the property, but each needed written permission.
    The written permission also told that they were not allowed to drive onto the property, only walk.
    Most people would never ask again simply because of the hassle, which was what I wanted. I'm talking pheasant hunters, not deer hunters with large bore game rifles.

I always posted "No Hunting" signs at each corner of the properties as well as on a signpost in the middle of each driveway. Kansas now allows purple paint to be placed on fenceposts, etc. to indicate the propery is posted. No other signage is needed, just the splash of paint.

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I am going to be putting up "No Hunting" signs on the far side of our property. We have new neighbors within the last five years and already I have had to clean up a "party." They also ran their 4-wheelers through after being told they weren't allowed and then guess what...our cows followed the beautiful trail and since they had cut our fences to get in the ladies got out and our neighbors called the cops. :no:
    We have some obnoxious neighbors..
    We have Jersey cows and it is a concern. We generally pull them in closer since we know the hunters aren't going to respect the sing...especially when our neighbor has given them permission in the past to hunt on *our* property.

A couple years a go a hunter brought in a goat to be tagged. :rolleyes:
    Last year some hunters weren't able to find anything and so they shot a prize beef bull. Luckily they ended up having to pay for it.

Our neighbor has permission to hunt at the end of the season if he wants to but he always comes up and asks first.

8. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Post early, post often. As already mentioned, rolls of tyvek notices are extremely cost effective. As you walk the property bring a little 2-step stepladder so that you can get the notices a little bit up out of reach. That reduces the temptation of some to pull them down.

After a few years things tend to improve if you stand your ground.

Mike

9. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We had a hunter come to the door yesterday looking ****ed off and needing to use the phone as his cell woundn't work out here. He called a buddy and told him that, while he was off his ATV in a deer stand, someone put 2 bullets through the ATV's engine, thus he needed a pickup and some muscle to retrieve his ATV.

I gave him a ride back to his ATV which was about a mile onto private property and through 2 cut fences.

Finally justice for the neighboring land owner. I wish I had thought of it a few weeks back when I found 2 ATV's on our land that had cut through 4 sections of 5 strand barbed wire (I just drained their gas into my empty gas can).

Oh and before you tell me how illegal what I did was: sheriff's deputy liked what I did and hoped the ATV owners would call in a complaint so he could cite them for tresspass then have game agent nail them for illegal hunting. But nothing was ever said :waa:

10. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We have been posting our fenced property for many years and still have trespassers. I like the "leased" idea, but I doubt if it would make much difference here.

11. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

Isn't PA a royal PITA to the property owner? To post your land within the legal guidelines, you have to have your signs mounted properly, spaced properly, and at the right height. Even if you do all that, and have photgraphic evidence of tresspass, the JP will throw the charges out half time. :(

12. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Wisconsin, it seems, is again at the forefront of the legal system.

It is no longer necessary to post one's land. A hunter needs persmission to be on private property or they will be cited for trespassing. If a person shoots a deer on land for which they don't have permission, the fine is $2000.
    The landowner doesn't need to post ANY "No Trespassing" signs. If a warden catches you on private land, the onus is on the hunter to prove they rightfully belong there.

I'm not saying all trespassing has ended, because it sure hasn't. I believe however, this rather recent law on the books is a very positive step in the right direction.

There will always be idiots. Last Saturday, I went down to get a load of firewood off of one of the parcels of land my mother owns. Its a 50 acre parcel of land directly off a blacktop highway. It has an old gate (not closed in at least 5 years) at the entrance. The property is in the Forest Crop Program, which opens the land to public hunting, but no vehicular travel is allowed. When I drove into the property last Saturday, some moron closed the gate, installed their own padlock on the gate, and posted a "NO TRESPASSING" sign prominently on the gate. I immediately broke the lock, threw the no trespassing sign in the woods, and opened the gate. I drove through the property, and sure enough, some moron had there deer blind in the back of the property. I had hoped to encounter these people.
    If I find these people driving inside this property again, I'll install an unbreakable cable (it will take an acetylene torch to cut through it), padlock, and cover for the padlock so it can't be shot off. Then I'll let them figure out how to get their vehicle out. Naturally, if the wardens contact me (my name will be on the cable), I will have misplaced the key....but I'll inform them that I'll have my brother mail me his, and I should have it in a few days.

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

14. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Im all for it.Maybe sugar in the gas and oil,just dont get caught.Way I see it,they are getting what they asked for,in spades at that!
    BooBoo

15. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

people ignore the no hunting signs. we've had good luck putting signs around our fences warning about a dangerous bull inside the fence. Seems to make people think twice before they come across the pasture into the woods.

16. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

A little humor about the bull ----TRESSPASSING IS FREE, BUT THE BULL CHARGES---

17. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I post mine with no trespassing signs and/or "purple" paint every 75 feet. I also print a notice in the paper at the beginning of hunting season. The local landowners around here also prosecute trespassers relentlessly. Once word gets out that you WILL prosecute trespassers the locals road hunters and poachers tend to stay clear.

Out of state and city folks tend to be a hassle but not as bad as what they use to be. The "guy shoots mule and thinks it is mule deer" stories are becoming fewer and farther between and many of those are heard 3rd and 4th hand. From my experience the younger hunters seem to be more responsible. At least to me the guys 40+ are a bigger problem than the younger guys. I think it may be the hunters education classes are helping with the unethical behavior. I think the vast majority of hunters, especially the younger ones, are a ethical and respectful lot with just a few slobs making the rest look bad.

18. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I got yellow plastic signs at wall mart - they come in a roll - no tresspassing for any reason blah blah - put them every 50 ft. Might not help, but does let them know I won't mess around I hope. Most of my tresspassers are clueless people - do they think there is land sitting around owned by no -one.

Also put a gate across the driveway and put private drive signs on the driveway because with everything else, still had "lost" people drive up. Yeah right....

One of my quirks is that I don't put up "welcome" signs, even for a door mat. Not everyone is welcome at my place and I don't want the dumb/ dishonest ones getting confused about that!

19. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

A friend up north post with 500$ a day hunting signs so he makes money off the tresspassers instead of taking them to court. He has a checking account like I have for questionable checks that I deposit them and withdraw the next day just incase.

mikell

20. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

The Forestry Service around here has approved purple paint for homeowners to use on the trees that are on the property line of the homeowner and the National/State Forest. Just paint a dot large enough to see from 100 yards. The hunting rules are that no one can shoot any game within 100 yards of that purple painted tree line. The Forestry Service and the Game Wardens around here are very serious about the rules. Some guys were on their 4 wheeler going down the road holding their guns. Our neighbor called the Game Warden. He was there in about 15 min and next thing you know the guys were leaving. Another neighbor that knew these guys said (this is hear-say) that they lost their hunting licenses because they were on a public road with guns ready to shoot which was against the rules.