Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Great posts, everyone and thanks for sharing! I love seeing other ppl’s furry family members, some really made me laugh and others tears eyed. Everyone’s dogs are so beautiful!

This here is Lexi, she just turned 10. She is the oldest of my three huskies that currently rule the household. I just love her to death! She is so atypical husky: she is gleefully obedient, loves to play fetch and frisbee, and she knows not to mess with Mama’s chickens, so I can take Lex out with me to visit the hens knowing she won’t hurt them. I can’t say that for my other two! Sorry the pic is sideways, I hate when it does that!
9B2C73C6-AA5A-4F1C-ABF8-3455F6846751.jpeg

BCC37200-1F25-42EA-B925-BED572D47632.jpeg

I wish someone had given me this advice before I got my first husky, Sasha, back in 1990. I had to send her off for obedience training (at 2 yo) she was so belligerent. Even her trainer said she was one of the most stubborn huskies he trained, lol. As stubborn as she was though, Sasha was still a great dog.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I no longer have any of this little pack, but the picture still cracks me up.
They all had their very own deluxe beds, but would manage to cram themselves into one bed.

Butt to butt; they get it.
In a proper pack, security is everyone’s duty.

A few Marines I have worked with had a common colloquialism for “chill”:
Take a knee. Face outboard. Drink water.

Same concept a pack in chill mode observes.

·
Premium Member
20,633 Posts

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Hope this counts as a dog pic. I had a guitar strap made a few years ago with portraits of my dogs. The guy who made it is a true artist and the embossed/painted pictures look like photographs in person.

The one on bottom is Gus, a German Shorthaired Pointer, the undisputed handsomest dog in the world, and the old man of the pack. He’s now 14 years old, and almost fully gray in the face. He was my first dog as an adult, and is my best friend.

The one in the middle is Ollie. We got him from the shelter at 4 months old- 1/2 pit bull, 3/4 whoknowswhathound. At 10 months old, we discovered he had leukemia, and had to put him down. We only had him for 6 months, 8 years ago, but he’s still a well-regarded member of the pack in good-standing.

The one on top is Arlo, another shelter mutt we got at about 4 months old. I suspect he’s pit and plot hound. He’s now 5 years old, but doesn’t act a day over 4 months

In our pack, we don’t do the dog-mom/dog-dad thing. The wife and I are “Snara” (how we imagine they’d pronounce her name if they could talk) and “Buddy”. She’s the hot chick that takes care of us, and I’m the big brother- although Gus somehow now feels like my big brother.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,950 Posts
Miss Ellie Mae was waiting for the food to come off the grill tonight. Look close, she is drooling.
20210604_191151.jpeg

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hope this counts as a dog pic. I had a guitar strap made a few years ago with portraits of my dogs. The guy who made it is a true artist and the embossed/painted pictures look like photographs in person.

The one on bottom is Gus, a German Shorthaired Pointer, the undisputed handsomest dog in the world, and the old man of the pack. He’s now 14 years old, and almost fully gray in the face. He was my first dog as an adult, and is my best friend.

The one in the middle is Ollie. We got him from the shelter at 4 months old- 1/2 pit bull, 3/4 whoknowswhathound. At 10 months old, we discovered he had leukemia, and had to put him down. We only had him for 6 months, 8 years ago, but he’s still a well-regarded member of the pack in good-standing.

The one on top is Arlo, another shelter mutt we got at about 4 months old. I suspect he’s pit and plot hound. He’s now 5 years old, but doesn’t act a day over 4 months

In our pack, we don’t do the dog-mom/dog-dad thing. The wife and I are “Snara” (how we imagine they’d pronounce her name if they could talk) and “Buddy”. She’s the hot chick that takes care of us, and I’m the big brother- although Gus somehow now feels like my big brother.

View attachment 97378
Absolutely counts! Awesome tribute to your four legged BFFs!

·
Premium Member
10,544 Posts
Here are the 4 canines we've had on our homestead. The oldest was Apache (the white shepherd mix) who would charge ferociously thru the herd of goats to ward off and/or attack an intruder...while the goats were running toward her. Apache literally trained the next oldest Cherokee to tend the goats. (Apache passed away.) Cherokee (a full-blood shepherd) is the one you see guarding the 2 young goats she raised from birth. (Cherokee too has passed away.) Next are the 2 canines we presently have, i.e. Cujo and Valentina. Cujo (full-blood chocolate Labrador) is an amazing guard dog who, though friendly with 2-legged strangers, has intimidated predators in our area to the extent they rarely show up anymore. Valentina (full-blood Bulgarian Karakachan) is the youngest (born in 2013) and is the only LGD we've had on our farm. She is amazing in that, though she will tolerate 2-legged visitors, she will continuously circle them letting them know she is watching. She is the major guard of both goats and fowl on this homestead. She and Cujo back each other up when need be to the point of even killing intruders; yet not once have they intruded on each other's meal beit raw meat or dried foods. (I've placed their pictures in order of oldest first.)

·
STILL not Alice
20,157 Posts
Trick or treat smell my feet
brussels griffons are kinda neet
MIL's dear friend breeds BG dogs. They are so cool - and I am not a tiny dog person. Sandy's dogs are just incredible. But I think part of that is because Sandy is a very cool, incredible person, too. It can't help but rub off on to the dogs.

Unless they rubbed off on her?

21 - 40 of 75 Posts