Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I was inspired to start this thread b/c of another thread about the poster's favorite thing in the world (a dog) and the comments that followed. I absolutely LOVE dogs, I simply can't live without at least one around. If you like, post your favorite dog pic(s), I'd love to see everyone else's fur buddies and what activities you like to do with them! A little background is nice too, especially if its a rescue story. I know this is a homesteading forum, but let's keep the images to canines only...OK, I guess felines are welcome, too! I'll start off with posting a pic of my best friend, Greta. She crossed the Rainbow Bridge back in 2012, but I still miss her so much! RIP, Greta! 馃槩
Gwetah on patio.jpg

How I ended up with Greta was completely unexpected. At the time, my other Husky, Sasha, had adenocarcinoma and only had a couple of months to live. I was surfing the internet and came across our local news station's website where they had a link for homeless pets. Even though I was not looking for another dog at that time, something made me click on the link anyway. As soon as I saw Greta's pic and read her story, I just knew that she was meant to come live with us. I contacted the foster group and told them my story about Sasha, and that I was interested in adopting Greta, but I couldn't do anything until Sasha passed away. Another family was also interested in Greta but the foster mom agreed to meet with me anyway. Well, the rest is history. The foster mom felt Greta would be better suited in our household than the other family (they had young kids, Greta wasn't aggressive, just kind of ignored kids) so she offered to keep Greta until I was ready to take her. I was completely heartbroken when Sasha passed, I cried every day I came home from work to an empty house. Greta came to stay about a week later. While she was never a replacement for Sasha, Greta turned out to be one of those "special" dogs. She was so smart and so well behaved and trained, I often wondered how she wound up at the dog shelter. Even though I currently have three beautiful huskies, I still miss Greta.

Shazbot!
20181129_155904.jpg

The daughter.

There is nothing wrong with her front right leg. In this photo she is backing (honoring) another dog on point and this is just the position of her leg when she saw it and froze.

STILL not Alice
My two herding dogs, taken in August 2020. Cappy (on the left) was just 3 months old. He and 11 year old Scout are sharing a large bone.

Registered
Greta was lovely Jeepgrrl, I'm sorry for your loss (and that of Sasha as well). This is a nice thread, you all have some real cute dogs.

Here's the goodest girl in the whole world, Ziva, AKA Dr. Girlfriend. We got her as a puppy from the local rescue, one of a litter of 3 were found in a sewer drain. I saw her picture online and had to go get her immediately. We brought her home just before my birthday 12 years ago, and lost her to cancer just before my birthday this year. She was my constant companion for those 12 years - even though I used to complain that I could never make a fast turn without tripping over her - and I deeply and sorely miss her.

This is Ziva with her foster father Gus, who was the one that taught her to be a good dog (mostly by not doing what he does). We have to keep an extra eye on him because he still wants to go out looking for her and for the first time in his life will take off on his own where we used to walk them together, which breaks our hearts. He's my daughter's dog, and is an elderly guy of 14.

And yes, I think we have a thing for brown dogs.

I calls em like I sees em
1 year old siblings, they love to play rough when they visit. My dog is the one standing up, that is her bigger brother on the ground.
20201210_211407.jpeg

STILL not Alice
Reactions: todd_xxxx
1 - 20 of 75 Posts