post-kidding care for doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by full sun, Jun 13, 2006.

1. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Okay, it's been 24 hours since kidding. It's my first time and I hope this is not stupid but, should I wash or rinse the back end of the doe?? I know she will have bloody discharge for a few days, but other things have dried and it is a mess back there! Should I clean her or would that be introducing germs? If i were to clean her, how would I do it?

Thanks!
    Jennifer :shrug:

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, go ahead and wash her up. I take some old towels and get some warm soapy water and just scrub them down. There is a lot of dried yucky mess back there, with hay stuck to it and all that. You can safely get all that mess off her and off the back of her udder. She will have a discharge for days and perhaps for a week or two. As long as it is not real foul smelling or bright red bleeding, that is normal. It is just her cleaning out. Go ahead and tidy her up.....oh also, if you have scissors or clippers, the hair around the tail can be clipped and also the udder and back legs. Get all that stuff off.

4. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Thanks Diane! I have one more question.... I have been helping the kids to the teat, putting the teats in their mouths, even milking out a little to drench the weaker kid with. All this handling of the teat! Even though I washed my hands first, I neglected to dip or wipe or clean the teats. How much trouble am in now? Is she destined for infection? What should I do...?

Jennifer