Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I bait a trap for a possum?

I can't use cat food since I have very stupid outside cats and they'll all end up in the trap at least once.

Got a huge possum that likes my front yard where I feed the outside cats. We bring the food in at night but it must be looking for any that spilled.

Do you suppose they like marshmallows? I know raccoons do.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
Around here, they sure seem to like stinky garbage. You could try that. Something REALLY ripe and festering seems best.

You might want to wear rubber gloves when baiting that trap...

Good luck!

Pony!

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
sugarbush said:
You can't catch a possum if you live in the USA..... you may catch an opossum though;)
Actually, I think the egghead powers that be changed that and "possum" is now acceptable.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
possum has always been acceptable in Australia and New Zealand, but that is a related animal and different species. I guess we could start calling all birds Bald eagles......that would be close enough for the egghead powers that be. :p

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
A flashlight and a baseball bat works most of the time if I can't use a 22LR. I had a bull terrier (think the Patton movie or Spuds Makinze<sp>) that loved every living creature except possums.

·
Premium Member
16,247 Posts
Fruit should work and not catch the cats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.