Possum help needed...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by second_noah, Mar 18, 2005.

1. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Can anyone tell me how I could build a simple trap for a possum or would I do better gettin a trap at Wally World? I've got one blocked in under the meat house and if I could get the flippin' thing out, I'd like to KILL it.

It's already taken two chicks.

Thanks for any help,

Christina

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    A simple wooden rectangle is easy to make, about 12 inches tall, 12 wide and 24 long. Make sure the top is solid wood, add wire anywhere else if it suites you. Make a sliding door that moves up and down in a track, place a pivot point across the top at midway, cut a strip of wood that can be attached to the door with a string, on the other end drill a hole in the top, and make the stick fit the pivot with a notch or whatever. The portion that triggers the door is just a notched stick that goes down through the hole in the top. The notch catches on the underside of the top, tie the bait (chicken bones) to the stick inside of the trap. Happy possumeing! They taste like chicken! ;)

Just creat an image of a play ground tetter todder to understand the trap door action.

3. gonecountry

gonecountry Member

If you have an animal shelter near by they will rent out live traps. Then you could set him free somewhere away from your house. I, myself wouldn't want to kill it.

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

We just caught our 2nd raccoon with a 'have a heart' trap.Only one left.The other 2 now live far far away,in the forest by a lake.much better than under my house.

BooBoo

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Well don't set your problem loose near my house! If a critter is a nuisance, the responsible thing is to destroy it, or turn it over to someone who will (nuisance animal trapper) not impose it on someone else!

Jena

6. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Possums are nasty and filthy. Don't let it out till someone is there to kill it for you. It will only come back. I lost several sitting hens a few years ago to a nasty possum. I put a jaw trap inside a chicken wire cage, and got him one night. They don't move very fast, I don't think, they are stupid. Get a cage, and make it the only opening he can get out of, into the cage, and wait till he goes in. Then at least you got him in the cage.

7. coydog

coydog Well-Known Member

marshmallows and peanutbutter cups make great bait

8. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Thanks ya'll. I agree that they are nasty, filthy little scavangin' critters that I want NO WHERE NEAR my birds. And don't worry, I WILL dispatch the dang thing as soon as he's trapped. I'm getting a hav-a-heart as suggested.

He was just out strolling along today apparently. My cat cornered him and I happened to walk by to see him. When he saw me he ran back under the meat house and out the side and stood there and looked at me. They have to be the DUMBEST animals I have ever seen. If I had had something with me, I could have wacked him over the head. Flippin' thing was as big as my cat and he weighs 18lbs.

WELL fed little buggar too. He's been stealin' eggs and took two of my month olds before I could figure out where he was getting in. This thing looked like it never had to work for a meal in it's measly scavanging life. Between all these people who leave cat food out for fluffy and my birds...well, he really hasn't had to work.

Anyways...thanks again...can't wait till I get 'em. HE'S ONE DEAD POSSUM.

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you can catch a possum with a forked stick... they aint real swift...
    but they have been around in an unaltered form for a long long time so evolutionwise..... they are pretty smart.

feed it... buy a to of cheapo cat/dog food and fill a pan up for the lil guy... let hin get used to being fed every day and he will drop his gaurd, and stop poaching your birds.
    then you can take an easy shot at him while he is eating one night.

10. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

11. coydog

coydog Well-Known Member

A method I have used is to chase him. stay on him close and he will stop and play "possum". Then you can dispatch him. works good when your young.

12. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

Are tractor supply had a set of 2 a big one and a small on for 25.00 bucks wish I would have had the money as I would have bought them out. The large one is usually 39-45 bucks for it'self. Later Mat

13. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

possums arent nasty in the lieral sense. People just have an aversion due to what they see them eating lol. Catfish are possums with fins and just about everyone loves catfish.

I had a couple possums as pets when I was a kid. My mother opened a drawer in her kitchen and there the lil buggers were laying there. About the size of small kittens.

They love cat food. Put some out and like told they will get to eating it fairly quick. Catching them is pretty easy as they are pretty slow as wild animals go. I have seen my dad when I was a boy catch them by the tail and whack their heads on a nearby tree or piece of lumber. He would also run up on a poisonous snake and as it tried to slither away he would grab it by the tail and crack it like a whip and kill it. So experience might be the factor here lol.

I always get amused at people ''repatriating'' nuisance animals. You ever stop to think that he may have gotten to your place that way? How much did you appreciate it? Besides dumping an animal miles away in unfamiliar terrain and in anothers territory isnt really doing them a favor. Bullet is all you need.

The biggest factor is the proper housing of your animals and fowl. I live right in the middle of a national forest and raise hundred of fowl. I cant remeber the last time a fox,bobcat possum or coon got one. And the majority of mine are on leg hitches out in the open. A good fence a good dog and a good firearm will cure most of your problem. I havnt lost fowl housed in a cage in years. Now if I could just get those hawks and owls to move on that would be another story lol. I keep feed aout for crows and they keep the hawks at bay most of the time.

14. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you are misinformed. Whether you like them or not doesn't change the facts. They are very clean, their body temperature is much lower than the rest of us mammals and so they don't incubate disease like the rest of our "family" of mammals does. That means no distemper, no rabies, none of the stuff you can catch from other people, dogs or cats etc. You are in true danger from your own species and your pets when it comes to getting mangled or killed by disease, Opossums pose no dangers at all to mankind. And, as their brains are about the size of a pea, if you can't build poultry quarters that a dumb possum can't get in, you need a brain transplant. :haha:

These creatures do us a great service. They eat lots of harmful insects and are one of the rare critters that kill and eat moles. Moles are slightly venomous(as are shrews) and can make our domestics very ill when eaten..possum's can handle it. They are also serious rat and mouse predators too and we all know that those vermin CAN kill us by the very nature of the way they live, the parasites they carry and the way they infect us and our foods with their filth.

Possums relish snail and slugs too along with grasshoppers. I try and put out some of their favorite foods to lure them into my garden through out the season. I don't need poison baits or sprays to keep my veggies from being eaten by insects etc.

Why oh why don't people do little research before they engage in such foolishness? But no, they just keep on cutting off their noses to spite their faces. Amazing!

We can surely be a goofy species! LOL

LQ

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

And they make pretty good table fare as long as you can forget what you are actually eating.

Seen a couple peeking out of a cow carcass at me once and it made me a little queezy about eating possum ever since.

Though I am strangely hungry for possum now...go figure.

16. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I am not in any way trying to deny the biology of the opossum, but anything that will eat a carcass or kill one of my chickens is going to get the title of NASTY from me. They are nasty in the sense that I don't like 'em and the little buggar is GOING to DIE.

My cats keep the moles, mice, and voles under control and there are plently of vultures roaming the skies around here to do away with the carcasses of all the possums on the road. And though I do not FEAR the opossum, it is a nusance creature to me.

The possum got into my coop by an entry point that I DID NOT know about, that DOES NOT make me dumb, simply unaware and my flock paid the price unfortunately.

17. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I feed the cats outside, i dont raise chickens, so i dont interfere in the opossums life, or the racoons, as long as the racoons are not in a pack of 3 or more.... then they make trouble.
    I have a resident opossum, he comes to eat with the cats. He has half a tail and one eye, and is either not afraid of me or the dogs or is stone deaf as well as blind in his remaining eye.
    I call him herman, and he is huge. herman doesnt bother me, and he doesnt eat much.
    he cleans up rabbits and whatnot that get run over on the road. he's quite handy.
    I havent seen him in a while, i am guessing he is hibernating or has wandered into the wrong yard.

they run like they have a roll of nickles shoved up their butt so i cant imagine not being abole to chase one till they flip over and play dead.
    they have jaws like wirecutters so they can chew light chicken wire open if they are hungry enough... thats why i say set food out for them, they are opertunists, they wont bother chasing a chicken if a pan of gravy train is sitting there for the taking.
    keep a watch if all you have is one.... and you feed him, he wont work at chicken hunting. now you might see a few skunks show up they will snatch chicks but they are better rat catchers than 10 cats. You may see a few coons show up at the food, and well unfortunately for the racoon, they like a variyety and dont mind chasing a chicken even if a pan of food is there.
    one of my cays caught a weasle once, i never saw one before! but the weasle will snatch chicks, the prefer their food to be screaming .

and as you blame the poor opossum, remember RATS.
    a large rat will take out a chicken... large rats can attack and kill anything they can overpower.

the pan of dog food and some late night observation will tell you volumes about who lives around you, seen and unseen

18. spunkey22

spunkey22 Member

I got a trap at a local feed and seed store and It works real good I put some food init and caught 16 wild cats and one possom.

19. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Well, Quack, since you singled me out, that possum wasn't very smart or he would have stayed in the acres & acres of woods that surround my farm. It was spring, there were plenty of snails & slugs for him to eat. He choose to kill several hens sitting on eggs, at $8 a piece for hens. What about the poor hens? They were hurting no one. Their eggs were just about ready to hatch. So with 5 hens, about 8 eggs under each one, that's 45 chickens. That possum didn't do me a great service. He was looking for an easy, free meal. They like eggs allot better than snails & slugs. Maybe he wasn't a danger to me, but he sure was a danger to my hens. None of us up on this hill went down into the woods to hunt him/her down and kill their babies. I was leaving them alone.

If you want to feed them on your porch like a kitty-cat, hey, go right ahead. But I've got too much chickens who like to hide their nests, when they are hatching. Last fall I had a hen and 10 chicks come out from under the garage. The chickens free range during the day to scratch up all the pastures, and keep the fly population down. I need them scratching up the pastures. I don't keep them in a steel cage, and I shouldn't have to. We have plenty of barn cats & kittens to take care of the mice & moles. And none of my barn cats will hurt a chick or baby bunny. The cats come running at feeding time like all the others. And I don't live near a road, so no dead animals to clean up here.

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

you probably eat beef, so why shouldn't opossums?