possible worms?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by old timer, Dec 14, 2004.

1. old timer

old timer Active Member

I bought a 6 month whether a month ago and his weight was 20lbs...sickly the girl that had it could not take care of it....so anyway got worming meds from the vet on Tuesday and he has had the full coarse... he has had a great appetite all along and still does... his stool has become more solid and seems more peppy... his gums are still white and his eyes are still a lil bit cloudy... giving vitamins and econatia... alfalfa hay and Purina goat chow ...all he can eat of both... my question is when will I see a difference in his weight and overall health? and do you have anymore suggestions for this guy?

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Well, since you say his stool is becomming more firm and he's acting more energetic, I'd say you were moving in the right direction.. though, If your feeding him grains (Purina goat chow), I'd switch (slowly) to one of their goat feeds with ammonium chloride in it.. that helps control urinary problems on boys that are eating grain.. I'd hate to see you get this far with him only to have his bladder rupture! :no: also, I'd be giving him a couple of B-complex shots, vitamin E (capsules-squeeze it on his food), & see if he likes spinach.. a great blood builder.
    Also, I have to ask.. what was he wormed with?? and how? I only ask, 'cause there are vet's that don't know squat about goats, they think they're an odd form of sheep, and well, they don't always medicate them right...
    Anyway, hope he's doing well still!!
    What are your plans for him??

3. old timer

old timer Active Member

I'm not sure what it was...however the first was a white paste in a syringe given oral and the next five were yellow paste that he really liked and that was given orally with a syringe. I have been giving him some powdered vitamins and about 5 cc of and iron vitamin mix... stinky stuff.... looks like iodine. anyway I will check on the other feed and see how he takes to it slowly...
    Thanks for you help

(old timer) not really old only 40 but that is a nick name that my wife who is 25 gave me when we started dating...LOL

4. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

I don't think I would give a goat echinacea especially over a long period of time. In humans it can suppress the immune system as well as cause liver damage over long periods of time.
    Also pygmies don't need a lot of grain imo ;-) or you will have a very WIDE pygmy. Get him on some hay, and yes, find a source of AC for him.
    I live by a university with a vet program and they do fecals for free. I would find something like that or learn to do your own. Check his gums and inner eyelids for color. Both should be red, any lighter and that would indicate he is still carrying a parasite load. But fecals will show you exactly what you are dealing with and give you an idea of how to treat it.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The meds sound like he got a horse paste wormer, hopefully not just safeguard....and the 5 day course of albon...what smart vet! Albon smells like bananas and the goats love it.

I would redo each in 10 days and then once a gain for 3 times total.

If the vet won't let you :haha: repeat the course of these, than get back with us and we will help you purchase this yourself from jeffers, jefferslivestock.com or just call 1800-jeffers and get the livestock catalog sent to you. You can purchase your own wormers and other meds and equipment cheaper than any vet or feed store, in fact most feedstores purchase from them!

So is this a pygmy who is sort of a normal weight 20 pounds at 6 months, or a horribly underweight boer or? Vicki

6. old timer

old timer Active Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that "snoopy" is doing much better. Gave him another dose of Panacur today... vet said that this should do it and that he may still be anemic from what I told her about his gums and eye lids....but she feels that his weight increase and no diarrhea is a good sign :D ...so maybe he will be ok.

Thanks to all who PM'd me and posted to my questions. :worship:

Greg

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Active Member

It sure would help to know what breed?? What part of US you're in,North-South-East or West.?

Reason,...we here in the south...battle an intestinal worm, known as a barber pole worm,..symptoms:pale eyelids,unthriftyness,bottle jaw...ect. And our best defense against it is Cydectin.Here we call Safeguard,Panacur(unless given at 5X's the cow dose :eek: )...*goat candy*,because it does nothing for intestinal parasites-works sometimes for tapes. Valbazen is still ,somewhat, effective on most parasites.
    I,too, applaud your vet for the albon!!

Do be careful about over feeding this poor guy.You could finish him off with too much rich food at once.
    Kaye