Possible tomato supports

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HilltopDaisy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I just walked the fenceline, and I think if I use the rest of this roll of Red Brand goat/sheep fence in a few spots, I can free up 5 cattle panels to use in the garden.

I was thinking about standing 3 of them together, side by side, with about 3' in between them. I'd have 2 rows of tomatoes, 16' long. The spaces are large enough to easily put my hand through to pick even the largest of tomatoes. I think they are 54" tall. If I make two of these cage-type arrangements, using an existing piece fence, I could fit around 30 plants. Some will be smaller, cherry varieties, and several determinate paste tomatoes. I think this will work out great. Anyone else do this? Any potential problems I'm missing?

2. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I grew my tomatoes on 3 cattle panels last summer. I planted them staggered on each side of each panel, and it worked out pretty well. Supported the panels with 3 steel posts. Will do it again this summer.

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I would maybe add a little support, like a post or bar into the ground to ancor the fence, at least at each end. Once the toms start climbing and create a wall, the whole thing might get toppled over by a strong gust of wind, if you have the gusty winds like we have here.

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, I planned on using three T posts on each panel. Man, am I ever getting excited about the garden! Still under a foot of snow :haha: !