Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Certified Animallover!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends Doeling. I believe she is 7 or 8 months old. Last week she just went into an almost coma like state. The vets dont have a clue. They think either poison or a possible infection in the brain,

Anyways She gave her to me yesterday . Ok this is what it seems like to me.

only half of her body is working(one eye and two legs and so on)

Now dont get all negative when they first found her nothing worked she has gone from nothing to one eye following movement. .. twitching of her tail.. moving ears and baaing. We have built her a sling and I am massaging her legs to try to get a good circulation going.

We have to tube her fluids b/c all she can do is lap at fluids.. but she does chew and swallow on her own now which she could not do b4. so we are finding her fresh greens.

b/c she has laid about the same way for a week her neck is kinked. how do I unkink it if she will not lay on her other side? I have been massaging her neck to.

the "kink"

thanks in advance.
~`*Mandie*`~

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Wow, this brings back memories for me. I had a doe that just suddenly lost her bearings, she could not walk, her head was at an odd angle, frequent trips from the vet were to no avail, and he told me I could replace her cheaper than him coming out, and he would not come out anymore. He was always paid in full each visit. I can thank my internet family. It took months. I did range of motion to keep her muscles going as she could not walk, I turned her every two hours, I poked her full of pills, from Vitamins to Terramycin, gave her Penicillin injections, hand fed her, lifted her and even rocked her in my old rusty garden rocking chair. I did not give up, and the odds were against us...but she made it. She still has a crooked little head, but she now runs and is a fat little spoiled pygmy goat. She was also pregnant at the time. We named the baby Pilly because I gave her so many of them ! I am also a big believer in prayer, and i am praying for your goat to get better.((Hugs)) I think I would try a baby aspirin a day on her, if it is some kind of clot, it may dissolve it. I used a cut piece of PVC pipe on Cookies Neck, I put soft flannel around her neck, then the cut pipe, and then taped it closed. Wrapped it again with flannel and tape to keep it in place. Cookies neck was also crooked like that. I always believed that one of the bigger goats had butted her, but the vet didn't think so.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Poor little thing . . . just like when humans have brain injuries, no one can predict what she'll recover and when. Usually in the first year with people MOST of the improvement occurs. The neck kink is probably from positioning and the brain injury too. Either it will improve as she gets more mobile or she'll accommodate it.

Does she have ANY movement on the one side? Can you tell if she feels pain, pressure, heat or cold?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ask your vet to research polioencephalomalacia. It's very common in goats, and only requires large doses of thiamine (vitamin B1) to bring the doe back to normal. If you leave her untreated, however, she may die.

And do check what you're feeding her. You've got a mold problem somewhere.

·
Premium Member
15,785 Posts
What about brain worm?

·
Certified Animallover!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GrannyG said:
Wow, this brings back memories for me. I had a doe that just suddenly lost her bearings, she could not walk, her head was at an odd angle, frequent trips from the vet were to no avail, and he told me I could replace her cheaper than him coming out, and he would not come out anymore. He was always paid in full each visit. I can thank my internet family. It took months. I did range of motion to keep her muscles going as she could not walk, I turned her every two hours, I poked her full of pills, from Vitamins to Terramycin, gave her Penicillin injections, hand fed her, lifted her and even rocked her in my old rusty garden rocking chair. I did not give up, and the odds were against us...but she made it. She still has a crooked little head, but she now runs and is a fat little spoiled pygmy goat. She was also pregnant at the time. We named the baby Pilly because I gave her so many of them ! I am also a big believer in prayer, and i am praying for your goat to get better.((Hugs)) I think I would try a baby aspirin a day on her, if it is some kind of clot, it may dissolve it. I used a cut piece of PVC pipe on Cookies Neck, I put soft flannel around her neck, then the cut pipe, and then taped it closed. Wrapped it again with flannel and tape to keep it in place. Cookies neck was also crooked like that. I always believed that one of the bigger goats had butted her, but the vet didn't think so.

WOW thank you so much! this is very encouraging.
I ama very strong believer in prayer to :) thank you for your prayers! thanks for the advice! :hobbyhors

·
Certified Animallover!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Idahoe said:
Poor little thing . . . just like when humans have brain injuries, no one can predict what she'll recover and when. Usually in the first year with people MOST of the improvement occurs. The neck kink is probably from positioning and the brain injury too. Either it will improve as she gets more mobile or she'll accommodate it.

Does she have ANY movement on the one side? Can you tell if she feels pain, pressure, heat or cold?

She moved her legs today!!! all four! I think sh feels pressure. I will check the rest tomorrow. she is sleeping :cool:

her neck seems less kinked today and she even held her head up all by herself!

she also can eat leaves on her own now and we dont have to cut them up!

:dance:

·
Certified Animallover!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Julia said:
Ask your vet to research polioencephalomalacia. It's very common in goats, and only requires large doses of thiamine (vitamin B1) to bring the doe back to normal. If you leave her untreated, however, she may die.

And do check what you're feeding her. You've got a mold problem somewhere.

I will talk to him in the morning *thanks*! '

She wasnt my goat til friday. (she was given to me in hopes I could get her back on her feet) I will ask her previous owner about the mold. (and warn not to feed any feed that may have mold)

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Great news! Keep us updated on her recovery. It's amazing what love and attention can do to make a little animal fight for their life! Good for both of you!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thank you so much to all of you who are offering such awesome support and advice to our daughter Mandie!

Thanks to your information, we found this page:
http://www.u-sayranch.netfirms.com/goats/goatpolio.html

We are excited to see the hope for our "Destiny"!

We will keep you updated on her progress.

Last night, she wiggled so much she ended up a foot away from where we had put her for the night, and she was frustrated...she started thrashing all four legs!! Whohooo, we are thankful for the movement!!

Blessings to all,
Tamar

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi all,

Tonight Destiny walked around for an hour! She did this with no assistance, of course we hovered near her the entire time to be sure that if she went down she wouldn't get hurt.

I have a question.

If you look at the pictures Mandie posted of her...that neck has a horrible bend in it. It has not improved at all. We are totally estatic that she is walking, but want to know if anyone has any advice on anything we can do to help get this neck straightened out some.

We did make her a "collar" out of pvc pipe..but that didn't work. It needs to be some sort of brace that starts at her shoulders and would encourage the neck to straighten out.
Ya'll have awesome advice! We are willing to try anything, as the neck is greatly hampering her walking, she ends up going in circles alot the direction her neck is bent in.

Will get up a photo of Destiny walking after a month of being down!

Blessings,
Tamar

·
Premium Member
15,785 Posts
That's great news!

You might try massaging each day if you haven't tried it already. Goats can have bent necks and do fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts