Possible solution to mouse problem. I can hardly believe it.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by homebirtha, Dec 5, 2005.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm so hesitant to post this, I'm afraid I'm going to jinx ourselves. But.... I must share...

We were having a moderate mouse problem in the house. We'd hear them every evening and morning and see them often, catch them in traps every few days at least. So, in desparation (and against DH's advice), I bought one of those electronic pest controllers. I plugged it in about 2 months ago... haven't seen or heard a mouse since. I must admit I am totally shocked that it worked at all, much less as well as it seems to be working. It was $20 at Bed, Bath and Beyond and it's a "dual" mode, ultrasonic and electromagnetic (or something like that).

I'm still waiting for it to stop working, but so far, so good. I really cannot tell you how surprised I am that it's working. (And thrilled too. No more mousey noises over my head while laying in bed at night. shiver.)

2. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

I can't believe it actually works, how interesting. I figured those things were a joke.

We had little field mice every fall when the crops came down. We trapped and dealt with it until one night I woke up in bed because something was itching my head... I reached up to scratch, and yup... a mouse. :grit: The next morning we got a cat. Now I have 5, and not a single mouse in 2 winters.

3. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

i dont know if its true or not, so take it with a grain of salt---- i was told they affect the nervous system, and were'nt good to have around dogs or cats--

4. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I used to have some in my house. They didn't work at all, because I still had mice. Eventually they 'went bad' and started making noises that I could hear, so I chucked them. I haven't seen any mice in my house since my cat learned how to hunt.

5. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

We've used one of those in the church kitchen and that has been the only thing to work so far!

6. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

Some say it works, some say no. I have an attic mouse so am reading with interest. :)

7. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

A friend tried one. Got rid of the mice, but them he ended up with a snake problem. He thinks the thing attracted them.

8. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

My suggestion, for what it's worth; a little terrier. Like a Rat Terrier or a Jack Russell. My mouser is a JRT, and a fine companion to boot. No rats or mice here, and plenty of entertainment from Poppy.

Just my .02

NeHi Mama

9. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

We used those a couple of years ago. They didn't work on our mice at all. We still had to set out traps and poison.

This is a bad mouse year again. Despite our three cats and two dogs (who are all good mousers), we still had them in our walls scratching and chewing away. Put out poison in the attics and viola! Within three days, all activity came to a halt.

10. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i bet the mice attracted the snakes.

11. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

We bought one of those ultra-sonic thingys for SCORPIONS, and it works GREAT- literally overnight, we ceased to find a single creepy-crawly anywhere in the house! But, it has NOT affected the mouse population at all...

I've been getting pressure from DH to just set out some poison and be done with it, but won't the little dying mice go DIE in my walls and behind my cupboards and STINK up the place??? I've never been able to figure that out! (which is why we still have very happy mice, I'm guessing!).....

-Jill

12. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

The problem with those things is you can't use them in the areas that need them the most...chicken coupes!

I know when I have a mouse i the house because the cat will stake out an area. One chewed in thorugh the door jamb and under the carpet, so she sits there quite a bit waiting for it to use that hole. Normally, I just sit something heavy on it and it doesn't come in, but the kids always move it...unless that mouse is super strong and doing it itself!

13. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

There was a really extensive article about this in I think a back issue of Backwoods Home a few years ago about how those electronic things DO attrack snakes....

14. sheeplady

sheeplady Well-Known Member

Ok Birdie__Poo, why can't I use one in my chicken coop?I have electric out there ( and a mouse/rat problem). Does the electronic device bother the chickens? The faster I plug up holes, another one is chewed through. Sigh.....

15. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

i pity the mouse that ventures into my chicken house! he'll be glad to be saved by a cat.

16. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I can't use them in there because I do not have electric. I envy those who do...and I can just picture them watching TV, running hair dryers, and all sorts of other things!!!!

The only thing I caution on is letting them eat the mice. I had done this for years until I came up with an infestaion of tapeworm. That is the only place I can figure my birds got it.

17. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Maybe, but in 5 years he had only killed 1 rattler. Put that in and killed over a dozen in the following 2 months.

18. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

When I used to install satelite t.v. systems alot of people had these in their vacation homes and cabins, I saw some in houses also. I just never trusted them. A lot of the owners swore they worked just great. shadowwalker

19. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

You mean things like converting the chicken coop into a chicken powered airplane and flying off and starting there own colony? :D

20. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Colorado is one of two states that test those devices and they are illegal to sell here because they don't work. I still see them on the shelves all the time. If I call the Attorney's General Office, the store would be told to take them off the shelf. The seller must refund the money if a customer returns them.

Think about it. No professional pest controller uses those devices. If they worked, I would use, sell, place, install and service them. I suppose it is possible you got one that worked, but I am still suspicious.