Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a brand new chick owner and I have 1 out of 10 that is not growing as quickly and seems to be more lethargic than the others. Help!!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
That's really vague on what might be going on with the peep. There can be many causes it for it failing to thrive like the others. One could be a birth problem that can't be dealt with. The others might be bullying it away from the food and water. Or there's something known as cocci that could be affecting the peep. That would need to be treated but it would be better to know more of what it is you're seeing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I unfortunately lost the chick :( I have been researching today and it looks like it had something called patsy butt. I have cleaned all of the others really well and they all seem to be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Sorry about the peep. Listen to what they're telling you. They should be quietly peeping, no loud cries. If that's happening then something isn't right and you need to investigate. Once you get this chick rearing thing down it's super easy from then on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!!!!! That is good to know. Now that you mention it for the last few days there has been one that was loud and we haven’t heard it tonight. We just thought we had a vocal baby!! We are so excited, but there is so much to learn! I am so thankful for the internet... idk what people did before it!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Chickens can be easy but they can be hard too. Things can be going along so smoothly then one will throw a curveball. About like a little kid does. Develop that extra set of eyes and ears you develop when children are around, they are your first line of defense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts