Possible mange?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Alrighty, in a previous post ( called "What causes hairloss like this?") I stated that my buck was getting bald spots. I sprayed 7% iodine on it, and the center of the patch grew back hair... While it expanded outward!! Umm... Well now the patch on his lefthand side behind his shoulder now extends from elbow to under his "cape" (pygmy) The righthand side is also bigger. He had flakey skin and when I grabbed accidentally in the patch I was rewarded with a clump of hair. If he was itching it off it wouldn't come out in clumps. He has purina goat minerals which he eats like candy. Do I keep spraying with the iodine and hope I get the whole patch or can I bathe him with, say, flea and tick shampoo for dogs? Or is there a mite treatment for goats? He was dusted for lice @ the beggining of spring, maybe two months ago, and up till today was housed with the other 5 of my goats, and none have this problem either. He was wormed maybe 2 months or so ago with positive pellet dewormer... He is acting normal, so I don't really think a trip to the vet is urgent unless you can inform me otherwise... Should I redust him, and does the lice dust prevent against mites as well?
    I just resprayed with the iodine.

2. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

Try a medicated shampoo or an antifungal spray for horses. Look for something that treats ringworm, girth itch, rain rot, etc. Iodine isn't that great for fungus. My guess is that it's ringworm. Don't touch it...it is contagious if that's what it is. An injection of vitamin D will also help with ringworm.

3. slatebrookfarm

slatebrookfarm New Member

Try giving the goat an iodine and baby shampoo bath. I had a goat with a similar problem gave him the bath, used some bag balm on the dry crusty spots and within a few weeks he was a new goat.

4. Caprice Acres

I dont think ringworm would get this big... It's huge... I'll have to take a pic of it tomorrow. It extends from under his "cape" on his shoulders to almost underneath him on one side. I also didn't know that it involved flakey skin. My other buck shared his half of the shed, though all 6 of them shared the same housing, if divided down the middle... Wouldnt' one of them have gotten it by now?

5. Caprice Acres

Erm, does anybody know of a mange treatment that I could try? Shoud I redust?

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Mine did the same thing. If you don't see yucky spots (technical latin term), it's probably not mange. I simply treated with lice powder for a few days and brushed them often. Their hair is growing back beautifully...much nicer than it was actually.

Ruth

7. Caprice Acres

It's just dry and loosing hair. I'm about to start loosing hair over this!! Alright, after the iodine fades out I'll redust once. Twice or more is too much, it is a pesticide, after all.
    Thanks

8. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Ivermectin should take care of mange. When our dog had it, we had to give him that orally. Believe I've heard it works on livestock for mange treatment too. I'd use the 1cc/50 dose or even go the 1cc/35 dose for extra precaution. Good luck!

9. Caprice Acres

Is ivermectin that expensive, confusing wormer? I could never figure it out, there are so many types of wormer in different % and oral/injectible. What kind (and price) would I need?

10. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Ivermectin is what most people use (or have used) to deworm their goats (also, cattle, dogs, horses, etc.). Brand name is Ivomec, I have a generic right now called Double Impact. It is about the easiest of dewormers to use/understand. It is injectable, for cattle and that's what it's sold for in the brands I listed (or you can get horse paste brands like Equimectrin, Zimectrin, Bimectin, etc. for anywhere from $3.50 to 9.00 a tube, which does 1200# for a horse, the goat dosage is tripled, so a 50 lb goat would get for 150 pounds in the tube). I paid $28 for my 50 ml bottle if Double Impact. Goats get ivermectin orally, wether the cattle type or horse paste.

11. Caprice Acres

So I could use the oral horse paste?

12. goatladie

goatladie JustALittleGoatCrazy....

yes, you can use the horse paste, I find it easier!~