possible hemlock poisoning

Discussion in 'Goats' started by fishhead, Aug 27, 2006.

1. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Tonight while on the evening browse I saw my adult Alpine doe grab a couple of leaves off a poison hemlock. The plant is waning and the leaves have turned yellow. I shushed her off the plant immediately.

They are on weed/willow pasture and get no hay. They have free choice goat minerals and bicarb.

Is this a reason for concern?

Thanks.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I would say probably not, if all she got was a couple leaves, but I would also probably give her a dose of activated charcoal just to be sure. Activated charcoal in a bit of mineral oil is what I would use. :shrug:

3. fishhead

How do you mix it?

I have activated aquarium charcoal and a blender. No mineral oil but I do have corn oil.

What kind of time frame do I have to treat?

Thanks.

4. ozark_jewels

I don't know if aquarium charcoal is the same stuff, but I use about three tablespoons of charcoal powder to just enough oil that I can suck it up in a syringe to administer to the goat/calf. I would give it asap.

5. fishhead

I opted to not treat last night and this morning before work stopped at the farm to check her.

She seems normal. Eyes normal, inquisitive, not sensitive to the touch, etc.

I'll have to grind up the charcoal tonight to have it on hand along with a bottle of mineral oil and big syringe at the farm.

A couple of weeks ago I picked hemlock out of 1,000 feet of ditch but still have another 350' in another ditch plus I see I missed 2 plants in the big ditch.

6. ozark_jewels

Glad to hear it. :) I always keep the activated charcoal and mineral oil on hand. If I don't mix the charcoal with mineral oil, I just mix it with water and drench the animal. I buy my activated charcoal in one lb. bags from a bulk herb store online, its already ground. Very handy.