Possible get togeather in S.W. Missouri this summer....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hears The Water, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been thinking of this for a while now, and admititly only just now praying, but I was thinking of trying to have a "rhondezvous" of sorts this Summer. I am in SW MO near the town of Joplin, and we have a great place about 20 miles or so away that would be good for a small get togeather. It is called Quakers Mill. It has a screeened in eating area, and LARGE BBQ/smoker, restrooms with showers, a sink, playground equipment, picnic tables, individual BBQ's scatterd around. Camping is allowed, but just not in tents. Or at least that was how it was the last time I was there. There is a very clean creek that meets up with a river there too. The best part is that if you turn one way, all of the "civilized" things are to your back. You would be facing the creek and the lush green growth that the Ozarks are so well known for. There are shallow areas for wading, and deeper parts for fishing. The area is patrolled and I think that alcohol is not allowed. This is one of the reasons the whole place is so nice. The owners have a little convience store across the road and they keep a pretty close watch on it there. I would be willing to look into this place more if I thought that y'all would be interested in getting togeather there. I know that there is another get-togeather in Arkansas, but that it to far for us. I am not sure how many would be interested, if any. Please let me know if you might want to do something like this, and if you have any questions. I was thinking like June or so, but let me know what months are the best for y'all. June is still pretty nice around here, warm but ususally not sweltering. I look forward to hearing from y'all.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

P.S. I am not 100% sure about the no tent camping rule. I am trying to get ahold of the people that run the park.

2. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

I haven't ever been too it, but baker creek seeds has a big get together weekend sometime in the spring. they sell herloom seeds. they have a huge weekend. they have classes, speakers. its only an hour or so from you in mansfield.

randy

3. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Randy, Yes!!! I know. I realy want to go to it. It is April 24th and 25th (or is the 23rd and 24th?) but we won't know if hubby can get off work until the week before. It is like the weekend of his birthday, the 22nd of this month, there is a thing up on Springfield where there will be eagles and other raptors and we realy want to go, but they won't let John off of work. So, I am hoping to go to the thing in Mansfield, but won't know if I can until later. The reason I am suggesting a get togeather near Joplin is because there are a lot of folks in OK, KS and even AR that would make Joplin centrally located. Acutally we are looking into a place in N.E. Ok called Twin Bridges as they allow tent camping and there is better fishing. I will keep everyone posted. Can't make any phone calls until Mon.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

4. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

Is that near Sarcoxie?

Nik