Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
I saw this on our local news. This happened a little over an hour from here.I TOLD my husband I saw cougar tracks near here... I strongly suspect that it has to do w/ the disappearance of my Pyr on July 4th. Dh saw one run across the road a few years ago over in Paola,Kansas.

·
Unapologetically me
21,948 Posts
I don't doubt it, we are starting to see them more and more around here.
A couple weeks ago, my daughter saw a dead one along side the highway.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
i think we should tie a some raw meat around the belts of some of them wildlife guys and send them out at night, then tell us theres no mountain lions around here.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I live slightly NW of Enid (about 30 highway miles) and a couple of years ago, I heard one late at night.....then the next day, close to dusk, I was in my backyard pool and I saw it....the lots behind our house are fenced in for a horse pen....the horse wasnt back there yet and that cat was walking thru the tall grass....my barking dogs startled it and it ran off. It was easily bigger than a full-grown Pyr...I think his tail alone was prob about 3 ft long

Mapquest.com has us at 275.08 miles (highway driving) from Alma.....at the crow flies of course would be much shorter

Rachel

·
Cheap but not free
386 Posts
Although Fish and Game says we don't have cougars around here ( central Kansas ), there are those who have actually seen them here. Nobody ever says anything about it anymore because once, a guy saw one near his farm and made the mistake of telling people about it. In typical small town style, from that day forward his nickname is Coog. Poor guy.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Mo DNR use to say that too until they saw one over a deer carcass.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
We live between Great Bend and Pratt and saw a cougar in the ditch next to highway 281. It kind of crouched down and glared at us as the car went by. So much for the wildlife people saying they aren't here.

Now if I could just figure out what the marmet looking like thing is that I have seen twice now. Its not a prairiedog,fox,armadillo,or any of the other usual things. It looks like, well... a marmet. But we don't have those in Kansas do we?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.