Possible colors ??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tucker, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hello All ,,,
    I have a 5 month old Harliquin doe ,, I 'bred' her Saturday to my WNZ buck and Sunday to my Californian buck ,, her 1st breeding ,,

I also bred my ES doe to have an experienced mother available ,, :goodjob: my best doe ,,

:mad: with this summer heat I'm just hoping 'both' weren't temporarily steril ,,

For those of you that have Harliquins ,, what possible colors might I get :confused: ,,
    I've been told 'Harli' has a 'bad' magpie color coat ,, lol I'm raiseing for home meat use so won't be selling these 'bad' looking offspring :rolleyes: but I'm just wondering about the possibilities ,,, :sing:

My black english spot doe has always had kits 'exactly' her coloring white with black spots ,, just the number of spots will be different :happy: ,, no matter which buck / color I've bred her with ,,

2. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

I think it's great that you have english spots. I haven't heard of anyone on this site that raises/has spots. The spots are a genetic trait that should be there, I am suprised you don't get any charlies or sports though, well, if they are purebred. For your harlis, you are cross breeding, it will be a lot of guessing on colors because the gene will be fighting it out. You may get barring, banding, white, brindled, or solid colors, it really will just have to be seen. There is no way to predict coloring for crosses even if you are using genetic charts.

If you doe doesn't get pregnant it probably isn't because of the heat, its because she's only 5 months old. If she doesn't take, wait untill she's 8 months. Most does will be able to breed a few years longer than if bred earlier because they have had extra time to grow.

Good Luck.

3. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Bear ,,,
    Well 'normally' I wait till a doe is 6 months old before I 'try' breeding her for her 1st time ,, but I've been reducing my herd ,, I sold my last breeding trio of WNZ's Saturday ,, I wanted to breed the NZ buck 1 last time to Spotty ( that cross of fryers are nice lookin) and figured why not go ahead and try Harli too ,,, by her priviates shes ready :nerd:

I haven't bred Spotty for 3 months and hope she don't have a problem 'taking' ,, we had 2 weeks of 95 to 100 degree (3 100+days) from late july into august so it wouldn't surprise me if both the bucks might have been temporarily steril ,, if 1 or both does miss I'll just try again ,,

my hub loves eating rabbit but hates to butcher so I breed on a lax schedule ,,, hub has always been vocal in reminding me to give the does 'breaks' in breeding :grump: ,,, I only kept my favorite 2 does and 1 buck and I've explained to hub ,, I WILL be breeding both does at the same time (fostering emergencys) ,,,,,, and if they both have 10 each thats how many he'll have to butcher :p for some reason when he hears she had 7 kits - she had 9 kits & she had 8 kits ,, his brain says 24 !!! :flame: I have to butcher 24 !!! :flame:

like they all have to be done the same day for crying out loud :shrug: but since I sold off all the rest of my herd .. I'm really working the guilt thing and he's calm about me breeding both does together ,, :p he's like "as long as you don't rebreed them back again too quick" ,, if I leave it up to him I'll do good to get 4 litters a year ,,

he likes to wait till the fryers are 11 - 12 weeks + sometimes to butcher :rolleyes:

I'll just have to imagine the possible colors ,, I had a friend offer me a gold english spot buck ,, I didn't take it but I did have fun imagineing the possible colors I might would get from my black English Spot or the Harliquin doe

:sing: