Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a goat who has a lump on her torso, towards her back leg. it definitely could be an inguinal lymph node from the placement. the only thing is none of the hair has fallen off like you can see with CL. now i am wondering what the best options are for testing. my local vet does not do CL testing so i am unfamiliar with what i need to do. i have read that blood tests are not accurate, and that you need to lance the area and culture the pus.

can a person lance it themselves and send in their own sample? i am trying to do this the most inexpensive as i can right now. thank you in advance.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,306 Posts
Call your nearest veterinary college and ask for help.

Or... someone who knows more than I do will offer better advice. :)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
My first reaction is "do you have the goat isolated from others?" You are so fortunate to catch it before rupture if it is CL! Second, I personally agree with Alice...I would NOT want to be messing around with opening that lump and trying to collect the specimen for testing. I know of people who have told me that in the "old days" they used to open the suspicious lump, wash it out with any number of chemicals in an attempt to "cure" the animal, but I would not want to risk ANY procedure no matter what the cost of seeing a professional AWAY from the rest of my herd. I admit I have not been in this situation YET, but I am pretty sure I would not want to risk it. You seem very aware and your concern is admirable and it may be nothing more than a splinter...I personally would not take the chance. CL is so much worse than CAE and we turn ourselves inside out to keep that away from our herds...why take the chance of infecting you herd or property? Best of luck!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
see thats the hard part, the only vets that see goats will only see them on your property. i even offered to pay the fee, but come to them and they said no. idk what to do other than cull and not test? and if thats the case i would feel bad because she is most likely pregnant. especially if its just a bug bite or something like that :(

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also i got this goat from my neighbor up the road, a nice old lady who has always been very honest. said she never saw any CL in her goats at all and they come from a closed herd. i originally got three of them. yesterday one died, not sure why looked totally healthy. so now i have the two left. i have no problems culling them and eating them, BUT i need to know if my nigerians have been exposed since they were all in the same pen together which is why i would like it tested.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Man, we have the exact opposite problem in our neck of the Ozark woods...they will not come out to see a goat unless it is herd of 100's costing $1000!!! Well, we used to live in WI and I know BioTrack has approved labs in WI...maybe one is close to you? I do not know how they operate or if they test for anything other than pregnancy and CAE...you could look it up and call them...maybe one is close to you? Not sure if the University has any vet services...or if you are close. I just hate to see you risk all you land and animals by attempting to "safely" examine this lesion.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i just called a vet who will test the lesion if i cull and carefully cut it out and bring the entire intact lesion to his office. will still cost me 126 bucks just for the culture :(

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
The test for the pus is a regular ole culture. Any vet should be able to lance or aspirate an abscess and send it out to get it cultured to see what the cause is. All abscess cultures are set up the same, no matter if we think it's CL or not. Causative agent is Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis which grows pretty easily on a culture if it's present.

If you think it is an abscess and your vets are unhelpful, you can try to get aspirate using a needle and syringe. Then squirt the abscess contents (a decent amount to prevent drying out) into a red top blood tube and send overnight on ice to a diagnostic facility. Your local veterinary diagnostic center (usually state university with a vet teaching hospital) should be able to do a general abscess culture. Call the place you wish to test at first, to inquire about their payment. For example, MSU requires owner-submittals to be paid in full up front - Other places may be willing to send you a bill along with results. I would avoid lancing unless your vet is willing to sell you a STERILE swab culturette tube for appropriate shipping of the sample and sample acquisition - do not send a mostly dry, non-sterile q-tip in a blood top tube and expect to get super helpful results. Also, lancing may be higher risk for environmental contamination. A large gauge needle may also cause leakage but due to the thick nature of the aspirate if it IS CL, it may be your only option.

Put the animal in an iso pen with minimal amenities and sanitizable facilities/feeders/buckets. I would make it easy to move, and put it in a nice sunny, dry spot. Make the pen such that you do not need to go in and out hardly ever (hang a hay feeder on the fence, if she's disbudded you can make a feeder that they stick their head through the panel to eat a grain ration). Minimize contact between you and the goat as well as other animals on the property if possible.

Reactions: TRAILRIDER

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
well i just called a vet who will test the lesion if i cull and carefully cut it out and bring the entire intact lesion to his office. will still cost me 126 bucks just for the culture :(
I would like to clarify that the vet is not going to do the culture - but they are going to mail it to a testing facility overnight on ice for you. A general abscess culture costs around 30.00 at a testing facility, not including shipping.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i just called my local state vet college and they only do the blood type of test. sigh. they told me to go back to my regular vet...if i knew of a place where i could send it to get tested i would probably do this myself.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
You didn't ask the right question when you talked to them. :) The only CL SPECIFIC test they do at Wisconsin is the blood test, so when you asked if they would do a CL test, that is the answer they gave you. HOWEVER, the test you want on abscess contents is NOT CL SPECIFIC. IT will grow WHATEVER is in the abscess and then they will identify the bacteria cultured. If you write on the submittal form that you are concerned about Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis, that is helpful to the diagnostic lab. The bench workers in Bacti are not vets, and don't necessarily know the animals, they know the BACTERIA really well though.

What you want is a GENERAL AEROBIC CULTURE of abscess contents. I *know* that Wisconsin vet diagnostic labs do it, because I typed in "culture' in their test fee list and aerobic culture shows up for a nomial fee of 20.00 for in state. Including their mandatory 10.00 ascession fee, total cost for culture is a whopping 30.00. You'd also have to pay for supplies and overnight shipping - or you can drop it off if you're close. :)

https://custportal.wvdl.wisc.edu/testFeeList.jsp

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Well I have a coupla thoughts on this- as we had a CL scare this spring with our beautiful registered, polled blue eyed Nigie buckling--

1)CL - if thats what it is-- is already there on your property- so, I wouldnt freak out about having the vet come out to do what ever it is ya gonna do- you just take precautions--
2)have your goat on a tarp, you guys wear gloves, vet can do what vet is gonna do on that tarp and then it and all the equipment get burned.
you disinfect the area afterwards (we did it on our driveway gravel)....(our goat ended up negative for CL, but positive for CAE, so he ended up at weed eating home)...

3) It is important to get goat treated, tested before that abcess burst though- our vet cut into the abcess and sucked out all the pus, and covered the whole area in blue kote I think it was, and we quarenteened the goat for 2 weeks.....

Ok late for work, those are my thoughts for now...

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Tansy where you at in Wisconsin? My vet is vey knowledgeable with the stuff. She cut her teeth on goats with me and another guy. I can give you the office number.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts