Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

· Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,236 Posts
I took the new puppy for a walk. He is AMAZING. The first half of the walk in the forest was on leash. He is adjusting to a leash, not pulling, just comes back after it is taut. The second half was off leash. He never went farther than about ten feet away.

Good dog.

· Registered
4,526 Posts
The qualifications to be a FedEx driver must only be that you have a pulse. Every Christmas since before I was born (I'm 71) my family has had a box of Royal Rivera pears delivered from Harry and David in Oregon. They are so sweet and juicy that I can't eat the hard pears they sell in the grocery stores.

The FedEx driver delivered this year's pears by putting the box in a white plastic bag and sticking it in a snow bank by the mailbox. I found them the next day. It was -18 that night and they were frozen solid. H&D sent out another box. I heard the FedEx driver this time and made the 30 yards from the front door to the road in time to watch him deliver them the same way he did the first time. We had words. I don't know whether I should hope it's a different driver next year or the same one whose learned his lesson.

The second box of pears are as good as I remember. I have good neighbors and I give them a few pears every year. You can never have too many good neighbors so let them know they are appreciated.
Impressive that a business still has the old school principles to send out another box. Neat.

· I love boobies
1,154 Posts
My white ghost strawberries have been producing all winter in the greenhouse and my baby citrus trees made it through the -25F cold snap. My road is still passable in the Rhino and I've got what snow there is packed down well so it should stay open for at least two more weeks. My book outline is pretty much writing itself and my woodworking project is going smoothly. My kitty has been the best company and I haven't missed having any guests out human company for around twenty weeks. I quit the medical MJ and have been dealing with the pain from my old crush injury with the goal of getting my pilots license next year. It's been a good winter with solitude and no loneliness.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
My white ghost strawberries have been producing all winter in the greenhouse and my baby citrus trees made it through the -25F cold snap. My road is still passable in the Rhino and I've got what snow there is packed down well so it should stay open for at least two more weeks. My book outline is pretty much writing itself and my woodworking project is going smoothly. My kitty has been the best company and I haven't missed having any guests out human company for around twenty weeks. I quit the medical MJ and have been dealing with the pain from my old crush injury with the goal of getting my pilots license next year. It's been a good winter with solitude and no loneliness.
I would say everything is CLICKING in the tight direction for you. I hope it all continues forward like that. Happy 2023

· Registered
3,511 Posts
I’m getting my new garage organized and cleaned up after a recent move. A lot of things I was going to throw out or get rid of I actually found room for. I was undecided on what to do as when my place gets cluttered I get irritated and then don’t want to be out there. These bottles that I was going to leave, my son asked me to bring to the new place. If I put little shelves up, it’s cheap. Putting them up high gets things out of the way. Much more to go in the “decorating” department. I have many signs, banners, and old license plates to put up.
I put some organizing bins in too. Random nuts, bolts, and screws usually end up in the garbage. Now I’ll have a place to put them.
Brown Wood Interior design Building Wall
Rectangle Wood Gas Shelving Font
Wall Building Wood Motor vehicle Gas

· Registered
3,511 Posts
@67drake That looks like an accident waiting for the first time you have something in the vice that needs some serious sledgehammer loving.
It’s a 1/4” thick stainless steel top with stock welded around the perimeter of the whole bench. It took 4 of us to move that bench from my old house to here. :)
Wood Rectangle Gas Composite material Fixture

· Registered
1,151 Posts
I put my bins well away from a working area so they don't get filled with [raP. And if something flies and you hear it hit the bins, good fortune finding the thing.

· Premium Member
23,247 Posts
I’m getting my new garage organized and cleaned up after a recent move. A lot of things I was going to throw out or get rid of I actually found room for. I was undecided on what to do as when my place gets cluttered I get irritated and then don’t want to be out there. These bottles that I was going to leave, my son asked me to bring to the new place. If I put little shelves up, it’s cheap. Putting them up high gets things out of the way. Much more to go in the “decorating” department. I have many signs, banners, and old license plates to put up.
I put some organizing bins in too. Random nuts, bolts, and screws usually end up in the garbage. Now I’ll have a place to put them. View attachment 117548 View attachment 117549 View attachment 117550
At this rate, you'll have American Pickers knocking on your door in no time.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that Mike and Frank have been picking some very orderly places in the later episodes?

· Premium Member
5,891 Posts
Alice, good looking pup. I wouldn't want him though, too many sand burrs and burr clover here. Grooming would be most painful for both of us.

· Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Posted 1/10/23 5:12 AM CST

Last week the mule team logger who selective thins the buffer thickets around my property in the fall to keep the woodland healthy for the younger trees to grow to maintain the health of the woods paid me my cut of what he got for the logs he trucked out. He also hooked me up with one of his friends who is cleaning up the tops and trimmings for fireplace sized log cord wood loads he sells to big house customers instead of my having to to get someone needing firewood to take what they wanted and then figure out how to cut it up myself or wait for my logger to have time to help.

Best part is while he was gleaning trimmings and tops for firewood to sell during the Arctic cold snap and I invited him in for lunches and to warm up , he saw my small wood stove and when I told him I usually use my pruning saw to kindling cut small limbs that fall or the tree surgeon trims from the trees around the house, he started leaving some of the kindling sized pieces by the house as he leaves in his pick up truck and trailer.

Since I have plenty of seasoned hardwood kindling for my stove already, I will split some of the small 3 to 4 inch diameter pieces for my stack and take some of the small pieces to my GF's house for small fires when we cook steaks on the grill grate in her fireplace if it's raining.

I also plan to burn some of my stored wood in the fire pit outside for ash lye to bucket tote into the buffer thickets to help break down the 5 to 6 inch stumps the logger left when he harvested the timber he thinned out .

A little pocket money, better sun for the young trees , wood for the stove and ash to break down the dead stumps before the logger comes back in a few years because he knows I won't clear cut my timber privacy buffers all add up to a good start to 2023. :)

41 - 60 of 101 Posts