Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got a message from my brother that my sister wanted to talk to me.
Seemed odd to me because we haven't spoken to each other in 30 years. Old wounds.
Thought about it for most of the day thought why not. Put my armor on because I was convinced, she wanted money or something.
All she ever wanted. Poisoned a lot of wells.
Turned out it was a very pleasant and nice conversation. Still shake my head on that.
Let old wounds heal and move on. Not worth it I'm guessing but still have my guard up to a degree, I think. Old habit with her.
It's a relief to some degree because I have known it needed to be done for my mom's sake if nothing else. She is 98.
That is awesome that you guys talked. Small steps forward lead to bigger steps. That is a good New Year start-off.

· newfieannie
10,881 Posts
That is indeed good news Gilley!
it's boring to some but my happiness revolves around my kitchen and home mostly. i found a place today to stack some of my mothers cups that i had boxed up for VV. makes me happy just to look at them as i pass by.( course i had to remove the stuff i had there and dont know where to put that but that's another story)

i kept hearing people talk a lot about sausage rolls but have never made them. decided to attempt it today even making my own puff pastry. turned out so good! lots of room for improvement though. i think they should be smaller for one thing. happy to have made them though. i also baked up some starlight mint cookies that my mother use to make for us 60 years or more ago and i had never made them.

thankfull that i have plenty to eat and to share. i remember a time when we were first married that the wolf was not only at the door but in the porch.i've come a long way since that time. lot of years also.

last night i was wishing for a little snow at least so i put up my Let It Snow Banner across the front window and today i have snow. just a dusting and will likely be gone tomorrow. not enough to make a snowman yet but it's snow nevertheless. ~Georgia
Table Dishware Textile Serveware Tableware
Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

· Registered
44,118 Posts
Great topic idea!
Oh boy, where to start?
I bought a rental almost 3 years ago. Beautiful location in the woods, butting up to DNR land. The house? A wreck! Took me all this time to finish it. As of about a month ago it’s finished and rented- win!
Right about the time I finished that house, a house went on the market in a town down the road from us. Close enough to my kids school, they can walk if they wish. Beautiful roomy house,and a 1200 sq ft. garage for me. We closed the day before Thanksgiving and closed on our old home last week. Sold to friends, with no realtor involved.
NOW I can finally relax a little.
Got a daughter getting married to a great guy this coming summer, and another daughter engaged to a real man , set to get married this fall. Did I mention they’re both great guys?
My 15 year old decided not to join wrestling this year. He wants to work. I wish he was wrestling, but how can I get disappointed about a kid who WANTS to work? Another win.
Like HD said also, I’ve been blessed by God in many ways. More than I deserve.
One last one, it’s been 5 years and 4 months since I had my last drink. Sure makes life a lot simpler. :)
The realest fairy tale ever. You are truly blessed

· Registered
3,512 Posts
My youngest grandson woke me up this morning to tell me “ Happy Birthday Papa, I love you. ❤ “ View attachment 117468
I’ve checked back on this thread many times the last 2 days to read new posts. Every time I see this pic I smile. Ain’t grandkids great?!
I have 3 now, and one on the way. :)

· Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,236 Posts
I purchased a puppy from a friend in Missouri. It’s a Bernese Mountain dog and Australian Shepherd cross. The transport folks delivered it this evening. It is PETRIFIED. We are very slowly getting to know each other. He has found a safe place to hide out, and I am talking to him.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Working animal

· Registered
7,280 Posts
FedEx actually delivered my stuff to my door. Rather than leaving it down by the road or over at a neighbors home.(y)
Oh thats is really something!
I purchased a puppy from a friend in Missouri. It’s a Bernese Mountain dog and Australian Shepherd cross. The transport folks delivered it this evening. It is PETRIFIED. We are very slowly getting to know each other. He has found a safe place to hide out, and I am talking to him. View attachment 117483
Sweet. Remember the law of 3.
.3 days to distress 3 weeks to get use to new home 3 month to be a part of it. Something close to that .

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
This next year we will put up enough fire wood to help a neighbor instead of scrimping for ourselves in the spring.

My gosh, we've never had excess wood. We barely get by to spring....
We have been helping our neighbor as well. Her husband passed away several years ago (before we moved out here) and her place has been slowly falling into serious need of repair. We rebuilt the roof on her horse barn last summer and fixed a couple fences. She was really surprised and happy when my wife took a bunch of fresh vegetables over to her from our greenhouse. It was around mid December when the wife and I talked, we need/plan to do more for her this year.

· Registered
1,192 Posts
Ive been on a homesteading quest for 13 years and I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. This year is really going to be a breakout year as far as goals achieved. Its been a wild ride mostly dominated by my tendency to over-do and bite off more than I can chew.

It took 10 years to realize the value of going smaller and three years to rebuild with a different model. 2 years ago we moved to a different homestead to accommodate our new goals, and its been nonstop work since then.

This year its all coming together in a way that I only dreamed of before. I have such a positive feeling about 2023, I honestly feel like it might be the best year of our lives.

· Registered
4,854 Posts
FedEx actually delivered my stuff to my door. Rather than leaving it down by the road or over at a neighbors home.(y)
The qualifications to be a FedEx driver must only be that you have a pulse. Every Christmas since before I was born (I'm 71) my family has had a box of Royal Rivera pears delivered from Harry and David in Oregon. They are so sweet and juicy that I can't eat the hard pears they sell in the grocery stores.

The FedEx driver delivered this year's pears by putting the box in a white plastic bag and sticking it in a snow bank by the mailbox. I found them the next day. It was -18 that night and they were frozen solid. H&D sent out another box. I heard the FedEx driver this time and made the 30 yards from the front door to the road in time to watch him deliver them the same way he did the first time. We had words. I don't know whether I should hope it's a different driver next year or the same one whose learned his lesson.

The second box of pears are as good as I remember. I have good neighbors and I give them a few pears every year. You can never have too many good neighbors so let them know they are appreciated.

21 - 40 of 101 Posts