Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I were talking last night and there never seems to be much in any source that is positive anymore. Everything is a debate, argument or even divisive. None of that on this post. Pick any subject (mechanics, electrical, plumbing, cooking, fishing, gardening, medical...etc, literally any subject) and share something you do, know or practice that you think others might not know and would be helpful to them. A couple friends and I did something like this in college requiring each person to tell the others something they didn't know about the subject when heading into an exam. Sometimes it took a while but it was a good way to share info and help each other prepare.

I recently started studying coins and their collectability. I think most people know that 1964 is the last year for quarter and dime production at 90% silver. What I had no clue about with new coins is that a Westpoint quarter made in 2019 to 2020 are worth a minnimum $15 each. It only takes a second to check them. Look for the year and then look for a W mint mark. I actually found one in my coin jar on my dresser.

When welding cast iron you need to preheat it, weld in short beads then ping (tap it to keep it from cracking) it. I had to weld a busted water pump and tried something different for pinging.I fell on my chainsaw last year and almost lost a finger. Surgery, splint and so forth handicapped me on this project so I resorted to thinking outside the box. I used my needle scaler for pinging and that did the trick. On something small it might not matter much but a big job can wear out your forearm if you are swinging a hammer over and over. Or if you were in my predicament. I cooled it slowly like normal and no issues.

Maybe this post will be a flop but I know we all must know something helpful that others might not.

· Registered
406 Posts
In the spring of 1982, pennies were debased the same way silver coins were in 1965. Formerly 95% copper, the new amalgam was 97.5% zinc. A baby can swallow a copper penny and be ok, but a zinc penny will poison them. Check the dates on your pennies. If you have an '82, flick it in the air and listen for the ring of copper, or the dull thud of zinc.

· Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,161 Posts
Rent houses are one of my favorite topics, so here goes!

I sold a property in Missouri, and used the funds to buy a house on a nice cul-de-sac in Marble Falls, Texas, and the renters have already signed the contract and partly moved their furniture. We are still waiting on the kitchen cabinets and countertop.

I sold some stock and, thus, have the funds to finish the tiny house I'm building in Llano, Texas. My builders are coming back for that. I have a possible renter lined up for that house with a hoped for move in set for March.

My new puppy (that I SWORE not to buy) is being shipped from southern Missouri today. He's a Bernese Mountain Dog and Australian Shepherd cross. His name is Balu, which is the German spelling for the bear in Jungle Book. Baloo, Balu. All good.

I made four quarts of goat milk yogurt yesterday, and it turned out well.

My friend and neighbor, Fred, turns 69 today. We've known each other since second grade, and it's a blessing to have him around.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the spring of 1982, pennies were debased the same way silver coins were in 1965. Formerly 95% copper, the new amalgam was 97.5% zinc. A baby can swallow a copper penny and be ok, but a zinc penny will poison them. Check the dates on your pennies. If you have an '82, flick it in the air and listen for the ring of copper, or the dull thud of zinc.
That's good to know. I have a couple gallons of pennies and I also suffer from insomnia. I might have to start going through a few handfuls at night. Plus, I know there are some pennies worth a bunch of money too. I'll check and post an update.

Reactions: Pony

· Premium Member
23,117 Posts
The lemon trees I started from seed last year are doing great. :) To be useful, I have linked the video that shows how to grow lemon trees from seed:

· Premium Member
2,849 Posts
We heat with firewood. Many times public lands will give you a free firewood permit, with an assigned area. We live near one that does (15 or 20 miles.) They just reassigned us to follow behind some logging. What a honey hole. Great wood, no one else around us. We just spent a wonderful day out harvesting a pick up load, and weather permitting will gather a lot there this winter, prepping for next winter. It was quiet, peaceful, and the forest smells so good in the winter. Cutting wood makes it smell even better. Had a nice picnic lunch, saw some deer, did some Bible reading, and just generally had a wonderful day outside. Entertainment and fuel at the same time.

We are empty nesting, empty grandnesting also. But I still cook like I did when the family was much larger. And then I freeze meals for us with the leftovers. Tonight we have stuffed peppers with pasta, cherry cobbler, and homemade ice cream. But all I have to do is heat up the meal and make some Italian seasoned sauted squash, with frozen squash from last summer.

DH just trimmed the nape of my hair and I used the razor blade trimmer to blend in some layers. I am growing from a pixie to a very short bob, and am about half way there. Free, took about 10 minutes. I am contemplating after that maybe growing to a wolf cut, or maybe not. Whatever, I am sick of blow drying and look forward to just scrunching up my curls and being done with it after a shower.

I see some of my blinds are getting dusty. About time to put some of dh's old socks on my hands, dampen them slightly with a misting bottle, and then just wipe the blinds. Quick and easy.

Also this week I finally remembered to vacuum the grill on the hidden from sight behind louvers cold air return on the furnace. Vacuumed the louvers too. Should improve efficiency.

· Registered
3,473 Posts
My orchid is blooming.

View attachment 117436

I have it in a wire hanging basket with a coir fiber liner. There is a plastic catch bowl hanging from the basket which I have water in to increase the humidity for that plant.
I’m on my wife’s good side. She picked up this hanging basket at an antique shop and was afraid it was too heavy to actually hang. :) No problem after I found a truss to screw into.
Wood Fixture Shade Hardwood Twig

· Registered
52 Posts
The wife and I were talking last night and there never seems to be much in any source that is positive anymore. Everything is a debate, argument or even divisive. None of that on this post. Pick any subject (mechanics, electrical, plumbing, cooking, fishing, gardening, medical...etc, literally any subject) and share something you do, know or practice that you think others might not know and would be helpful to them. A couple friends and I did something like this in college requiring each person to tell the others something they didn't know about the subject when heading into an exam. Sometimes it took a while but it was a good way to share info and help each other prepare.

I recently started studying coins and their collectability. I think most people know that 1964 is the last year for quarter and dime production at 90% silver. What I had no clue about with new coins is that a Westpoint quarter made in 2019 to 2020 are worth a minnimum $15 each. It only takes a second to check them. Look for the year and then look for a W mint mark. I actually found one in my coin jar on my dresser.

When welding cast iron you need to preheat it, weld in short beads then ping (tap it to keep it from cracking) it. I had to weld a busted water pump and tried something different for pinging.I fell on my chainsaw last year and almost lost a finger. Surgery, splint and so forth handicapped me on this project so I resorted to thinking outside the box. I used my needle scaler for pinging and that did the trick. On something small it might not matter much but a big job can wear out your forearm if you are swinging a hammer over and over. Or if you were in my predicament. I cooled it slowly like normal and no issues.

Maybe this post will be a flop but I know we all must know something helpful that others might not.
FedEx actually delivered my stuff to my door. Rather than leaving it down by the road or over at a neighbors home.(y)

· Registered
3,473 Posts
Great topic idea!
Oh boy, where to start?
I bought a rental almost 3 years ago. Beautiful location in the woods, butting up to DNR land. The house? A wreck! Took me all this time to finish it. As of about a month ago it’s finished and rented- win!
Right about the time I finished that house, a house went on the market in a town down the road from us. Close enough to my kids school, they can walk if they wish. Beautiful roomy house,and a 1200 sq ft. garage for me. We closed the day before Thanksgiving and closed on our old home last week. Sold to friends, with no realtor involved.
NOW I can finally relax a little.
Got a daughter getting married to a great guy this coming summer, and another daughter engaged to a real man , set to get married this fall. Did I mention they’re both great guys?
My 15 year old decided not to join wrestling this year. He wants to work. I wish he was wrestling, but how can I get disappointed about a kid who WANTS to work? Another win.
Like HD said also, I’ve been blessed by God in many ways. More than I deserve.
One last one, it’s been 5 years and 4 months since I had my last drink. Sure makes life a lot simpler. :)

· Registered
641 Posts
Love this thread. Mom turned 100 in December. We keep a running family text thread going, mostly involving Mom, but sometimes gets chatty.Nice to talk with brothers and sisters. We are involved with our kids and grandkids lives,they actually talk to us, we had a very enjoyable dinner with our oldest son and his wife.Sometimes they talk to us, when they do not need something! So family time has been great,through the holidays,and we look to continue this year.Yes we are blessed with so many things,God has given us so much!

· Registered
86 Posts
Got a message from my brother that my sister wanted to talk to me.
Seemed odd to me because we haven't spoken to each other in 30 years. Old wounds.
Thought about it for most of the day thought why not. Put my armor on because I was convinced, she wanted money or something.
All she ever wanted. Poisoned a lot of wells.
Turned out it was a very pleasant and nice conversation. Still shake my head on that.
Let old wounds heal and move on. Not worth it I'm guessing but still have my guard up to a degree, I think. Old habit with her.
It's a relief to some degree because I have known it needed to be done for my mom's sake if nothing else. She is 98.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts