Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You think the voting block of the homeless are great enough in numbers to elect the current office holders?
Me thinks these people cracked out in tents along the highway don't have enough energy for a noticeable rate of voting. But I know your answer will resonate with conservatives who think liberals inherently stoop so low to cheat.
No, I dont think the homeless vote much. I have seen voting progressives demand free needles and get mad about when politicians try and move them. So liberal cites will do nothing and hope that they will still get voted in next term.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
On this we agree!!!
Dad had one plus a nephew had one who quit their job last month. Section 8 was going to cut them off plus the day care. Never ending cycle ... Stay home and stay broke!!!

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,469 Posts
Maybe the government should re-start the Civilian Conservation Corps like FDR did when Americans were starving. If the government is going to feed, clothe and shelter them, those who are able should be required to perform some service that benefits the country.

Let them pick cotton or work in wheat fields or orchards or factories or pick up litter and mow grass on the road right-of-way for minimum wage. (Yeah, the labor unions would have a fit.)

We might discover that many of those homeless folks suddenly become able to support themselves at real jobs.

I assure you that the demand for free food will increase to exceed whatever supply exists.

I started feeding a few birds in my back yard. Soon I had more birds and I added more feeders and bought sunflower seeds faster.

Soon raccoons started coming and I "had" to buy them food. The poor things were hungry and were having babies.

Then I got more raccoons and a neighbor's dog.

Then deer and chipmunks and a possum started coming and I had to buy feed faster.

Just like other animals, homeless humans will continue to increase in numbers as long as someone is willing to supply them with free food.

So, if you want more homeless folks, just feed and shelter the ones you have now. More will come.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Are you suggesting the problem cannot be solved?
Iknow in DC it polly won't be solved. When I lived there the homeless were everywhere, all men and mostly mentally ill. They actually don't want a good place to live and thy will NOT go into shelters in the winter. Everything they have gets stolen. Each man has his place on the street and on the grates. It's become a way of life there, people accept it. Do not give them money....goes to booze, It;s been this way since the 70's (Vietnam War) and is not likely to change.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Maybe the government should re-start the Civilian Conservation Corps like FDR did when Americans were starving. If the government is going to feed, clothe and shelter them, those who are able should be required to perform some service that benefits the country.

Let them pick cotton or work in wheat fields or orchards or factories or pick up litter and mow grass on the road right-of-way for minimum wage. (Yeah, the labor unions would have a fit.)

We might discover that many of those homeless folks suddenly become able to support themselves at real jobs.

I assure you that the demand for free food will increase to exceed whatever supply exists.

I started feeding a few birds in my back yard. Soon I had more birds and I added more feeders and bought sunflower seeds faster.

Soon raccoons started coming and I "had" to buy them food. The poor things were hungry and were having babies.

Then I got more raccoons and a neighbor's dog.

Then deer and chipmunks and a possum started coming and I had to buy feed faster.

Just like other animals, homeless humans will continue to increase in numbers as long as someone is willing to supply them with free food.

So, if you want more homeless folks, just feed and shelter the ones you have now. More will come.
My uncle preached that to us back in the 70's. He was ex military. Taught me how to shoot doves. I carried him to the grave three years ago. Some of the best times were learning from him!!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Now we are getting somewhere.

The regs have pushed people onto the street
I've been saying that for years. The houses burn down in fires, the codes and costs to rebuild them are insane, and then we sit around and scratch our heads and wonder why there's a homeless problem....lol

·
Registered
33,555 Posts
No, I dont think the homeless vote much. I have seen voting progressives demand free needles and get mad about when politicians try and move them. So liberal cites will do nothing and hope that they will still get voted in next term.
Unconfuse me. What was your point?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Poverty has very little to do with it. The dependence on government is the basic culprit.
most of the homeless men in DC have NO income. At all No family, just handouts from diffrent places. If they did have money they'd spend it on booze, not so much drugs. The cops know them, the churches know them and other giving places. If they have any money due them they have no idea how yo get or who to go to. Trust me on this

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
While I understand there are some people/families that are homeless and want to be able to rejoin society, the vast majority of homeless are there because of addition, mental illness, or simply want to be homeless. The last one, simply wanting to be homeless, I witnessed 1st hand when I sat on the board of a non-profit who's mission was to get veterans off the streets. We had 10 homes, able to house at least 6 veterans in each. We were NEVER filled. The guys/gals would come for a free meal and then leave. I assume some had mental illness but others I spoke with just didn't want to be connected to anything or anyone. They said they were happy the way they were. Free, able to go and do whatever they want without any connections. There are so many non-profits that supposedly help the homeless, but that's not working either since the number of homeless seems to continue to grow.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I could answer, but then I’d be censored and probably tossed out.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
While I understand there are some people/families that are homeless and want to be able to rejoin society, the vast majority of homeless are there because of addition, mental illness, or simply want to be homeless. The last one, simply wanting to be homeless, I witnessed 1st hand when I sat on the board of a non-profit who's mission was to get veterans off the streets. We had 10 homes, able to house at least 6 veterans in each. We were NEVER filled. The guys/gals would come for a free meal and then leave. I assume some had mental illness but others I spoke with just didn't want to be connected to anything or anyone. They said they were happy the way they were. Free, able to go and do whatever they want without any connections. There are so many non-profits that supposedly help the homeless, but that's not working either since the number of homeless seems to continue to grow.
I actually really respect how some of these people just flat out refuse to play by society's rules. The few that are like this have realized how utterly pointless it all is. I actually respect that. Be the change you want to see. I've said it before, when I retire I wouldn't mind being homeless.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I actually really respect how some of these people just flat out refuse to play by society's rules. The few that are like this have realized how utterly pointless it all is. I actually respect that. Be the change you want to see. I've said it before, when I retire I wouldn't mind being homeless.
Why after you retire?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Me thinks these people cracked out in tents along the highway don't have enough energy for a noticeable rate of voting.
You think the voting block of the homeless are great enough in numbers to elect the current office holders?
+ + +
Is some of this why they are pushing mail in and other voting options rather than going to a poling place ??
Z Z Z
Do east coast cities have this issue? The cost of housing in NYC and Boston has to be equally high but I don’t hear much about the homeless there or in say...Miami Like you do in CA, OR and WA.
+ + + +
It seems if you follow weather patterns, especially winter weather... That will answer most of your question why most are where they are..
Z Z Z
Reinstate the CCC that FDR put in place...
If the government is going to feed, clothe and shelter them, those who are able should be required to perform some service that benefits the country.

+ + +
Here prisoners used to do some of these jobs.. Kept there own gardens and such to feed themselves.. The "do goods" got it considered cruel and unusual punishment.. So they just sit and think of ways to cause trouble among one another..

·
Premium Member
41,728 Posts
As long as others feed them why bother being productive? Someone else mentioned feeding a couple birds... Hoover warned fdr “if you start feeding a few now you’ll have to feed them all forever.” Here we are, nearly a century later.... covered up with the lazy irresponsible dregs to feed.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
As long as others feed them why bother being productive? Someone else mentioned feeding a couple birds... Hoover warned fdr “if you start feeding a few now you’ll have to feed them all forever.” Here we are, nearly a century later.... covered up with the lazy irresponsible dregs to feed.
I agree! I often tell my husband, usually around tax time, that if I sent money to "Feed the Children", I'd at least get a picture of the child I'm supporting. In the U.S. taxpayers pay for the worthless and lazy who aren't even grateful enough to say thank you, they simply keep sticking their hands out wanting more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shut off the welfare valve. When the free stuff stops coming, the leeches will have a choice, work or starve... Either way, the problem is solved.
And any existing assistance paid with my taxes need to require a drug test and mandatory birth control. I have to piss in a cup to earn it, they need to piss in a cup to steal it.
I will help anyone that helps themselves but it should be my choice not the .gov taking my money and handing it out without my oversight.

41 - 60 of 319 Posts