Homesteading Forum banner
301 - 319 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
That’s a great idea. I just told her this and she groaned.
No tiiiiiiime….”
But I sent her a list of classes anyway.
she does deal with some scary people as an attorney and as a young woman needs to be able to defend herself.
I didn't know if she was an adult...but she is, so why isn't she getting a gun? License to carry concealed? When I was a nurse it was in a ghetto hospital. I had to walk to the car at night as i worked 2nd shift. There was no safe parking for staff other than the doctors. I carried concealed so every time I had to walk through the hood at midnight, I knew I would not hesitate to use it. Also I never acted like a potential victim with the body language, etc. I hope she stays safe!

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Buying at 20% above appraisal is playing the long game. They are not buying to do a flip on short term market appreciation and/or a cosmetic makeover. I think they buy in, establish positive cashflow, and wait for the market to appreciate enough to overtake the premium they paid. They don't see being in the rental game as a necessary evil, it's a core strategy.

The link in the OP is too conspiratorial for my tastes, but the commodification of housing and the expansion of rental assets is a real thing. A market economy that is geared to primarily meet the needs of capital investors is going to function that way. A greater deal of economic democracy would be useful to address this, and cooperatives are a way to look at home ownership differently IMHO.
I agree about the link but dont shoot the messenger. Just read between the messages.

I disagree. If that is how they play the long game they are out of touch big time. Any successful investor knows you dont make make your money when you sell. You make your money when you buy. Nothing is guaranteed in the future. Especially appreciation. I know plenty of long game investors that hold for 20 plus years. They almost never buy above appraisal. Only is certain instances will they do that when they know something big is coming soon to that area.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Buying at 20% above appraisal is playing the long game. They are not buying to do a flip on short term market appreciation and/or a cosmetic makeover. I think they buy in, establish positive cashflow, and wait for the market to appreciate enough to overtake the premium they paid. They don't see being in the rental game as a necessary evil, it's a core strategy.

The link in the OP is too conspiratorial for my tastes, but the commodification of housing and the expansion of rental assets is a real thing. A market economy that is geared to primarily meet the needs of capital investors is going to function that way. A greater deal of economic democracy would be useful to address this, and cooperatives are a way to look at home ownership differently IMHO.
It isn't a conspiracy if it's true.

Imagine how many houses they will buy once these non paying renters start defaulting and leave.

They will vacuum up foreclosed houses at will. With government blessing and funding.

Unlimited money, with unlimited backing makes for some scary stuff.

I am wanting to see what neighborhoods they are actually buying though. I read today they bought a large rental development. That isn't buying up neighborhoods, that is just buying up a bunch of rentals.

So, I am willing to put my tinfoil hat on lightly until I see more evidence.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts

Imagine how many houses they will buy once these non paying renters start defaulting and leave.

They will vacuum up foreclosed houses at will. With government blessing and funding.

I am wanting to see what neighborhoods they are actually buying though. I read today they bought a large rental development. That isn't buying up neighborhoods, that is just buying up a bunch of rentals.

I have heard the same thing. They are buying rentals.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
My daughter was walking home yesterday evening when she noticed a homeless guy following closely behind her on the mostly empty sidewalk. He bumped into her several times and she was terrified. Got her bf on the phone and he met her in front of the apartment building , where the creep stood and stared for about five minutes.
I think she needs a taser And to not walk home at dusk.
After staring for five minutes, did the boy friend just let the perp walk away. Hmmm, interesting concept.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts

My conspiracy people are saying housing riots is the next big incoming crisis, circling around that and other things.

·
Registered
34,371 Posts
I don’t think so. She does carry pepper spray but not sure how they handle that.
This is the problem though.
You wonder if you’re being overly paranoid and about to taze or spray someone who doesn’t have bad intentions.
God knows, you spray the wrong person and you’ll lose your job, career, everything.
You could lose all that if you tase the right person.

Reactions: Lisa in WA

·
Registered
17,089 Posts

Here is one.

Wall Street-backed landlords now own more than 11,000 single-family homes in Charlotte | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte

Now, with the foreclosure crisis in the rearview mirror and a historic scarcity of homes for sale, single-family rental companies are still adding to their portfolios, pushing into the regular market with all-cash offers and even, in a few cases, building brand-new subdivisions entirely made up of single-family rental houses. With a focus on buying moderately priced houses, single-family rental companies are impacting the supply of starter homes, possibly pushing lower-income and first-time buyers out of the market.

·
Registered
34,371 Posts
From WSJ
Invitation Homes Inc., INVH -0.63% the country’s largest rental-home owner, on Wednesday disclosed a joint venture with Boston property investor Rockpoint Group LLC that will result in more than $1 billion for the landlord’s ongoing house hunt.

Invitation, which owns about 80,000 houses, has been buying at a clip of roughly $200 million a quarter since a pause at the onset of the coronavirus lockdown. It sold $448 million of new shares in June to fuel its expansion, and the agreement with Rockpoint will add enough cash to buy about 3,500 more homes, said Dallas Tanner, Invitation’s chief executive.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Just talked to a younger family member who is in finance. They were talking about wanting to get the best bang for their buck and thinking about investing in these type of company's(ones that are investing in RE) with their money. He has been talking to them and they are saying that they are not losing any money due to the rental restrictions etc and that if a renter does not pay rent they have easy ways to get the money back after the renter moves out.
Hmm...I am not a finance guru and I can't put my finger on it yet why I see this not ending well..

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I agree about the link but dont shoot the messenger. Just read between the messages.

I disagree. If that is how they play the long game they are out of touch big time. Any successful investor knows you dont make make your money when you sell. You make your money when you buy. Nothing is guaranteed in the future. Especially appreciation. I know plenty of long game investors that hold for 20 plus years. They almost never buy above appraisal. Only is certain instances will they do that when they know something big is coming soon to that area.
I think institutional investors operate differently than individual investors. The pension plans and others behind these kind of REITs are happy to monetize it as a rental asset and rely less on appreciation. They are executing a business strategy that looks at a couple of factors: (a) the ever increasing wealth gap, and (b) increasing productivity through automation. Both of these factors suggest that there are going to be fewer homeowners and more renters in the near future. Loading up on rental inventory is getting ahead of that development.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
I think institutional investors operate differently than individual investors. The pension plans and others behind these kind of REITs are happy to monetize it as a rental asset and rely less on appreciation. They are executing a business strategy that looks at a couple of factors: (a) the ever increasing wealth gap, and (b) increasing productivity through automation. Both of these factors suggest that there are going to be fewer homeowners and more renters in the near future. Loading up on rental inventory is getting ahead of that development.
I agree. I am buying also.

·
Registered
34,371 Posts
Portland’s 50-person riot squad resigned in protest Wednesday in solidarity with one of their colleagues who was indicted for striking a Marxist hiding behind a press pass.

The resignations are effective immediately, according to the Portland Police Bureau, and come after the indictment on Tuesday of Officer Corey Budworth, for assault during and incident in which he struck ‘photographer’ Teri Jacobs in the head during a riot last August.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Guess that reporter should have been leaving the area instead of trying to block the police officer with multiple strikes of her shield being used against the officer. I certainly do not blame them for quitting. Would not be surprised that they only remain on the police force to try to save their retirment.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
She should be paying part of the cost to restore the city from the damages and expenses caused by the riot. To receive one penny from participating is ridiculous.

301 - 319 of 319 Posts