Homesteading Forum banner
281 - 300 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
11,120 Posts
Doesn't LA have fire codes requiring smoke detectors and sprinkler systems?
Start passing out fines and court dates and maybe these bums will get their appliance boxes up to standards.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Well, if the government won't solve it, maybe the locals will (or maybe it's a self-correcting problem):

----------------------------------------------------------

Homeless encampments account for 54% of fires in Los Angeles

As the homeless crisis in Los Angeles continues to surge, the city is facing a growing number of fires at encampments, according to reports Wednesday.

Fires related to homelessness have nearly tripled in the three years since the Los Angeles Fire Department started classifying them, LAFD officials said.

In the first quarter of 2021, they occurred at a rate of 24 a day, and made up 54% of all blazes the department responded to, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The increase in fires comes as the number of tents, makeshift shelters, and campers in Los Angeles has also surged. With more tents, comes more heaters and propane tanks used for cooking, FOX 11 of Los Angeles reported.

Armando Hogan, the deputy chief for operations of the LAFD's West Bureau, questioned the root cause for the growing number of fires.

"Is it a simple matter of these folks just need a place to go and eat? Is it a bigger matter of individuals having problems with each other in the encampments? Is it just a warming issue?" he said.

However, not all fires are accidental.

On May 3, a video showed someone throwing something into a tent at the Venice Beach boardwalk, before it becomes engulfed in flames.

At least seven homeless people died in fires in 2020. Fires ignited near businesses have also caused tens of millions of dollars in damage, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But it's not just Los Angeles. Other cities with large homeless populations are seeing the same problem:

Link
It's a thing in most of southern California, not just LA. We had a major fire this Christmas near my house that originated in an area known to the locals as a homeless hangout. We're quite rural for southern California, but even we have our share of homeless people living down on the creek that is easily reached from the nearest village, and those fires tend to get out of control really quickly due to all of the dry California brush/trees and few people to see them before they're out of control. That fire burned more than 4,200 acres before it was contained, we were packed and ready to go as it got less than a mile from our house at one point.

Of course you rarely hear what actually caused the fire if it originated in a homeless camp, makes the politicians look bad. It's still "under investigation," but everyone who lives out here has a pretty good idea of what happened because we see the cook fires (and people drinking/drugging, sleeping on the side of the creek and road) when we drive by going to town. Fact of life out here the last 5 years or so.

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
My daughter was walking home yesterday evening when she noticed a homeless guy following closely behind her on the mostly empty sidewalk. He bumped into her several times and she was terrified. Got her bf on the phone and he met her in front of the apartment building , where the creep stood and stared for about five minutes.
I think she needs a taser And to not walk home at dusk.

·
Registered
34,202 Posts
My daughter was walking home yesterday evening when she noticed a homeless guy following closely behind her on the mostly empty sidewalk. He bumped into her several times and she was terrified. Got her bf on the phone and he met her in front of the apartment building , where the creep stood and stared for about five minutes.
Get her one of those knock-him-on-his-ass tasers

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Problem is that she is in and out of the courthouse and jail. Don’t know how they handle that.

·
STILL not Alice
20,379 Posts

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Or something a little more ominous.

DH shared this link with me today. I haven't researched it yet, but it does seem to answer a few questions.

Blackrock is buying every single family house they can find, paying 20-50% above asking price and outbidding normal home buyers
I read that a few weeks ago in a realtor rag.

Here is what I see as the problem with them doing that.

1. They are buying houses above appraisal. Way above. They can't possibly hope to come out on that in the long run.

2. If they buy the middle class out, ( like that article suggests) who will they sell/rent to? They will have to drop the price.

The only thing that will reset with Black Rock is their balance sheet. Just give it 3 more years.

·
STILL not Alice
20,379 Posts

1. They are buying houses above appraisal. Way above. They can't possibly hope to come out on that in the long run.

2. If they buy the middle class out, ( like that article suggests) who will they sell/rent to? They will have to drop the price.

The only thing that will reset with Black Rock is their balance sheet. Just give it 3 more years.
1) Perhaps coming out on that in the long run may not be their game.

2) The middle class. They may or may not have to drop the price, but it will certainly decrease private ownership of real estate. "You'll own nothing, and you'll like it."

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Could she carry a taser in?
I don’t think so. She does carry pepper spray but not sure how they handle that.
This is the problem though.
You wonder if you’re being overly paranoid and about to taze or spray someone who doesn’t have bad intentions.
God knows, you spray the wrong person and you’ll lose your job, career, everything.

·
Registered
809 Posts
How did he get close enough to bump in to her?

·
Registered
809 Posts

They are funded by the government. They don't have to make money.

I am sure they are also tied into federal programs that send even more funding to them. Section 8, covid relief, etc.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

Buying at 20% above appraisal is playing the long game. They are not buying to do a flip on short term market appreciation and/or a cosmetic makeover. I think they buy in, establish positive cashflow, and wait for the market to appreciate enough to overtake the premium they paid. They don't see being in the rental game as a necessary evil, it's a core strategy.

The link in the OP is too conspiratorial for my tastes, but the commodification of housing and the expansion of rental assets is a real thing. A market economy that is geared to primarily meet the needs of capital investors is going to function that way. A greater deal of economic democracy would be useful to address this, and cooperatives are a way to look at home ownership differently IMHO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If arming herself is not feasible/practical, could she take some self defense classes? Self defense training would build her confidence and empower her to protect herself. Many places offer the training and usually for free. Have her check with the local college/university or the YWCA. Also, she could get one of those cat head keyrings that functions as a tool for self defense (google "cat keyring self defense").

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
If arming herself is not feasible/practical, could she take some self defense classes? Self defense training would build her confidence and empower her to protect herself. Many places offer the training and usually for free. Have her check with the local college/university or the YWCA. Also, she could get one of those cat head keyrings that functions as a tool for self defense (google "cat keyring self defense").
That’s a great idea. I just told her this and she groaned.
No tiiiiiiime….”
But I sent her a list of classes anyway.
she does deal with some scary people as an attorney and as a young woman needs to be able to defend herself.

281 - 300 of 319 Posts