Portable welder-no 110 AC anymore

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Gideon, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Have a 3.5 gen/welder that has quit producing 110 volts. Have checked the brushes,wiring,conections but find nothing loose/worn. Anybody had that problem and what was the cure. Thanks,wc

2. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

there wouldnt be a fuse in there for the power outlet would there?

3. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Thought that I had checked everything but will recheck just for that-thanks,wc
    edited to add: it will produce just barely enough to slowly turn a drill motor so doubt it is a fuse.

4. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

i can only think that there might be a lose connection or parted wire! hummmm......

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have an Italian made generator that lossened the bushing that held the rotor in place and it slide a 1/4 inch so the internal connection no longer made proper contact. Similar symptoms to your gen welder. We just slid it back in and tightened the bushing its been fine since.

6. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Will give it a once over for proper spacing and lose connections again. Thanks,wc

7. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

DOES IT still weld?

more than likely if it will still weld there is a lose connection, broken wire, fuse, etc,

if it doesn't weld then my guess is there is a generator problem, in the rotor or the exciter, in a diode etc,

8. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Welds super, burned about twenty lbs of rods yesterday and today building a 28 ft tri axle trailer. Ready to mount the tires tomorrow and load the building(12X16). Nice little shop with shelfs,windows,dbl door, and wiring. Will shed off each side asap. Will check for connections soon and let you know. wc