Portable Water Well Drilling Rig plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texascornbread, Apr 2, 2006.

1. texascornbread

texascornbread Member

Hello, I need help drilling a well, i don't have a drilling rig yet, but would like to get one, but i'm on limited income, and new rigs complete are 2600.00 to 8800.00 new. A freind of mine told me where to get plans to build a drilling rig cheap at www.drillingfab.com
    Is there anyone out there who knows about drilling a well who can tell me if these rig plans look like it will work. I will need 2 wells here in north texas and the price for one well is 8500.00 here, so any alteritives would be nice.The rig and plans look to be good, but i am green at this. any help or insite on this from fellow users would be great.

2. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

There's not really enough there to comment on the viability of the rig, but I do have one observation:

It is clear that you wll need a welder and considerable fabrication experience to build that rig. The $200-$750 price assumes you have the welder and know how to use it, I'm sure.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................I , also live in north central texas , about 10 miles north of weatherford , tx . Now , I have a paluxy well ~200 feet deep with a 1 hp pump . To drill this particular well , completed will run 20\foot or $4,000 . Now , a Trinity well will be ~400 feet deep and WIll cost ~$8,000 . So , which water zone are you referring too??? The Trinity is the preferred water zone but very pricey and NOT necessary . My water comes down from Oklahoma whereas the Trinity comes almost Too ground out around Brock and east of the Brazos .
    ....................Sounds like too me someone is trying to really get in your pocket :eek: with that 8500 figure so you might want to get a second opinion . And , you'll never beable to drill a well in my area :bouncy: with a 4k drilling rig . If this was possible don't you think that the local drillers would be using these rigs instead of having to spend from 50k to 500k for their rigs?? fordy... :cowboy:

4. pilot_34

pilot_34 Well-Known Member

Drilllers use big rigs to drill big holes every day . Sorta like truck drivers, a smei hauls a load nicly but you can bring home a pile of 2x4s on your bike if ya got time!

5. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

I grew up drilling wells with a 20-W churn drilling machine. It took usually about a week to drill one. Then came the air rigs and they could set up, drill a well and tear it back down, collect there money and be gone in a day. Pops machine cost him $5,000 back somewhere aroung 1962-1964. Air rigs were $50,000 and up. I would say you could expect to stand beside that thing for a long, long time before getting a well drilled and you have to conceder also that the drill pipe will cost also. I am a firm believer in doing things yourself, but I would pass on this one. I think it would be something you would sink money into and never get to the good end of it. :shrug: