Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

New video Portable livestock wind breaks have been a game changer. We are able to keep the soil nutrients where they came from. There easy to build and fairly inexpensive depending on materials you have on hand. With footage of the cows grazing threw the snow and the collies foraging for there food as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Subscribe for a new video every Friday w/occasional Tuesday or Wednesday video!!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi neighbor. It's been a very mild winter in our neck of the woods for sure! My cattle are on pasture 24/7/365 and they'll graze stockpiled forage in very deep snow, but haven't had more than about two and a half feet deep all winter so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi neighbor. It's been a very mild winter in our neck of the woods for sure! My cattle are on pasture 24/7/365 and they'll graze stockpiled forage in very deep snow, but haven't had more than about two and a half feet deep all winter so far.
Hi Gravytrain It has been a mild easy grazing winter. You must be in the snow belt? I don't think we have had 12" total yet this year. No more than 6" at anyone time. We still could get a bunch of snow yet.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi Gravytrain It has been a mild easy grazing winter. You must be in the snow belt? I don't think we have had 12" total yet this year. No more than 6" at anyone time. We still could get a bunch of snow yet.
Yeah, I'm in the bullseye of the snow belt. It looks like I'm about 40 miles as a crow flies NW of you. We had a snow storm a week or two ago where we got about two feet on top of the foot we already had, but most of that melted in a couple of days...nothing like what we get in a normal winter. I'd prefer the snow and cold to the constant snow/thaw/mud cycle we've had this year...and I think the cows would too.

·
Super Moderator
9,200 Posts
a friend is using a collection of self unloading hay trailers for the same currently , no cost to him because he could borrow them from cousins and neighbors and park them in his pasture for the winter.

not sure how much your needing to feed bails but we are here in WI bale racks on those would be awesome hook to a tractor and not the side by side and drive 2 over to the row of bales and load up and spend less time on bales making them dual purpose

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a friend is using a collection of self unloading hay trailers for the same currently , no cost to him because he could borrow them from cousins and neighbors and park them in his pasture for the winter.

not sure how much your needing to feed bails but we are here in WI bale racks on those would be awesome hook to a tractor and not the side by side and drive 2 over to the row of bales and load up and spend less time on bales making them dual purpose
How about tri purpose a gentleman suggested to make pivot at the top and use them as shade in the summer.

·
Super Moderator
9,200 Posts
How about tri purpose a gentleman suggested to make pivot at the top and use them as shade in the summer.
I like it but would probably do that with shade cloth like an RV awning to keep weigh down then you could have an awning off each side for more shade

a pivot high would make a lot of weight up high I can see that tipping in a wind

quadruple purpose and make one into a water wagon also
a 330 gallon tote to gravity feed with a few watterers off the back especially if you had a tandem rear axil chassis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts