Port-Hut Hog Shelter

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by catfishcookin, Jan 18, 2004.

1. catfishcookin

catfishcookin Active Member

I want a Port-a-Hut shelter for my two gilts to farrow in and I can't find anything similar to these all metal, portable huts anywhere around here. What have some of you done for a small shelter/farrowing place for your gilts? The area that I live in doesn't have a dealer for these huts. Perhaps, one of you have a hut to sell around East TN or Ky.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Catfish, we have 8 or 9 port-a-huts, in various sizes. Have used them for everything from sheep, cows and pigs. They're fantastic. Port-a-hut.com will freight them to you if you don't have a local supplier. I think freight costs are built into the listed prices.

3. catfishcookin

I assumed shipping would be too costly because of the bulk of these things but I'll call them and see. I've already emailed the company requesting info. I used them when I lived in Illinois--the hog capital of the midwest--but in TN the farm stores look at me like I'm asking for the moon and say "nobody raises pigs anymore around here..."

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I am posting this web site and maybe you could "adjust" this to fit your needs.

I am going to use pallets for the base and sides (no Floor)so the hogs don't break it down.

Good luck.

http://www2.moment.net/~wingnut/hoophouse.htm

5. catfishcookin

Thank you very much!

6. eb

eb Well-Known Member

ANyone have sample sizes and prices for these shelters? I had sent a few emails to them after seeing the ads, but never got any response from anyone...I assumed they were a defunct company? Is there a place on-line with sizes and proces?

7. catfishcookin

They are still in business, but they don't get back to you. Sucky customer service, I say.

8. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

use 3 pallets and a tin roof use scrap wood to cover open slots leave bottom open so the hogs can dig a hole to sleep in put straw in shed for bedding

9. catfishcookin

I like this idea...I believe you have the answer. Appreciate it!