pork jerky anyone?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by GeorgeK, May 20, 2004.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

any thoughts? recipes?

2. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I got that thing from walmanrt and insert sausage meat and then make jerky.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

Pork jerky is about my favorite. Trim as much fat as you can or make sure to use the leanest cuts. Brine is the same for any jerky. Salt, sugar, water and any spices you care to add.

4. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression that pork was to fatty and because of the fat, would not turn rancid quickly...

and i guess i am wrong...wow, learn something new everyday.

Belinda

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I can prepare pork jerky from lean pork? I'd love to do about 100 pounds worth. I'm butchering my 400 + sow on Saturday. She was sold, then given away then... still here! So she's gonna be outta here and though I'm dreading the work, I am going to make the most of it. Jerky sounds good. How long in the brine?

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Never had any go rancid, as if it could around here with all the kids! I can't remember any jerky ever going bad and we make a lot of it. You do want to use the leanest cuts, and it's surprising how lean most pork is these days. Most producers work for that lean premium.

I mentioned that pork was almost my favorite... my all time favorite is Mountain Lion. It's still legal to run them here in Idaho with dogs, so lots of folks do but only want the pelt. I'm known far and wide for skinning the hide in exchange for the carcass, most of which is either made into jerky or ground up.

As far as time in the brine, we usually try to get it in the smoker after a few days. That's with refrigerated brine. I have brined stuff, including fish for only a day, but try to leave stuff in for three days. I wouldn't worry about even a week if you don't have time to get to it.

7. mind posting a detaailed recipe? Ive never done this, but my pigs are pastured and therefore very lean, so should theoretically work well

8. bare

bare Head Muderator

Detailed recipe? Hah! Unfortunately, all my endeavors are estimated and I doubt I've ever made the exact same brine more than once.

The basics are for every gallon of water, add a big fist full of pickling salt (maybe about 3/4 cup) and a smaller fist full of brown sugar (maybe 1/2 cup). Depending on what I'm smoking, I'll usually also add a couple capfulls of liquid smoke.

I always make the brine up ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator. Semi-freezing the meat prior to slicing, makes for more uniform slices then just toss in the brine and put it back in the refrigerator. I use 5 gal. plastic buckets and a refrigerator in the garage.

After it's brined, untangle and stretch everything out on racks and put in the smoker. I try to keep the temperature about 150 degrees until it's done.

I used to re-use brine for economy until I actually figured out how little it takes to make. You can get 25 lb bags of brown sugar for about 8 dollars and salt is less than that. If you plan on doing a lot of smoking buy your liquid smoke by the gallon. You'll pay through the nose for those little bottles.

I've brined everything in such a brine. Beef, pork, hams, bacon, hocks, fish, turkeys, chickens, loins.

9. JanH

JanH Well-Known Member

The lean/fatty thing aside. Pork has long been proven to need cooked for safety in consumption. Some here have said they've done it...but without cooking (trichinosis) I sure wouldn't touch it. Especially in bulk. Food safety is a serious issue and there's a reason raw or undercooked pork isn't recommended. :no:

10. bare

bare Head Muderator

First JanH, who said anything about not cooking pork? I clearly stated that the pork is heated for several hours at least at 150 degrees until it reaches the desired dryness.

And second, it's my understanding that trichinosis is all but eradicated here in the U.S. Do you have any recent information to the contrary?

11. JanH

JanH Well-Known Member

12. Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus aureus and Listeria monocytogenes are all killed at 140F Trichinosis takes a higher temp but if you have organically raised grain fed homestead pork and there has never been a case of trichinosis on your farm, you should theoretically not be at risk

13. one of those sites recommends boiling the meat strips for 1-2 minutes prior to drying. Has anyone tried this? It sounds like it would definitely cook it, how is the flavor?

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Yummy! Ours turned out excellent :) Our recipe was equal parts worcestershire sauce and soy sauce, crushed garlic, salt, black pepper, and curry to taste. We also use sodium nitrite to cure. I let it marinade in the fridge for 20 hours and turned several times. This morning I dried it on paper towels and put it into the dehydrator. the first of it is just now done and it is the best tasting jerky I've ever had. We used very, very lean loin steaks cut to about an 1/8 of an inch. This was from the sow we butchered on Saturday. I think this will be our jerky of choice from now on. Thanks for the ideas everyone! :) And btw, we dried/cooked at 155 over several hours. I have eaten raw pork, yes raw, most of my adult life. I season it and eat little bits not whole plates full. I also love raw fish. Have at me if ya'll want. :haha: Perhaps it is Russian roulette, we must all die of something. I don't go near supermarket meats and fast foods. My great-grandmother did the same :eek: and lived into her 80's

15. bare

bare Head Muderator

Yup, I'd rather die eating a piece of homemade jerky than a lot of other ways I know! MMm, pretty dang early here, but I'm gonna go get some out of the freezer. (assuming the kids haven't already discovered it) I've found it's best to not label the packages since they figured out how to read.