Popping noise in knees

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TAdkins, Dec 13, 2005.

1. TAdkins

TAdkins Member

I have 2 nubian nannies that are due to kid around 12-27-05. I have been putting them in the barn at night, and I recently noticed when them walk around you can hear their knees popping or snapping. What causes this? It sounds like the joint is dry. The noise isn't very loud, but you can hear it. Has anyone ever heard this?

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Not that this is it...but one reason could be CAE..She could just be a snappy kind of girl too!

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Yep CAE or poor conformation, a goat who perhaps is over at the knee. Have a photo of them, especially one from the side and one from the front? Vicki

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have two does with the same thing. Both CAE free. The vet said it is just like ours, some peoples joints pop and crack and others don't. I give Glucosamine Chondroitin, just like I take. If you crush it up they usally eat it right out of a bowl. ( It is like a form af arthurits) I also was told to give them free choice sea Kelp. It is a lot easier because they eat it when they want. The crushed pills can be a pain. I have put the Sea Kelp out about 8 months ago and there is a lot less popping and cracking in the barn.
    Lori

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We have a seven year old BIG boer doe that has the same problem, and so does our 4 year old buck who is REALLY BIG, we figure that it is simply arthiritus caused by the age plus the size. Good Luck with your girls, bye.

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Last night I was browsing as I was drowsing...reading myself to sleep by perusing "Natural Goat Care" by Pat Coleby.
    I came across a paragraph that reminded me of this post.
    She states that it can be caused by a lack of boron in the feed or browse...she recommends feeding seaweed powder (kelp powder) free choice, which contains boron, and if that is not enough, adding one gram of borax (I am assuming she means the actual laundry and hand cleaner borax??? Hopefully w/o additives?) per goat per week. She states that 10 yrs. later, the required dose for her herd is 1 tsp. per week.
    It is on pg. 155 of her excellent book, if you are interested and can find a copy.
    HTH!
    Blessings, Jillis!

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

It *can* be CAE or it can be that they are just creaky goats. Some goats just creak whether they are CAE negative or not. I have a few of them. If your does have swollen knees, it is quite probably CAE. But like I said, some does just creak..... ;)

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Yes, I am sure you are right. I just posted it because it reminded me of this thread. I believe she was referring to arthritis not caused by CAE...

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I wasn't necessarily responding to your post....I was just answering the original question about popping knees. :) I too love Pat Coleby's books.....the one on cattle is great too!

10. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Gosh, I came onto this board today specifically to ask that same question! My 2 pregnant does are less than a year old (Feb. will be their birthday), and have clicking knees. If it is CAE, then I have a question: Does CAE affect young goats too, or only old goats? I don't believe mine can have CAE as they came from a dairy that is doing CAE prevention. They pasteurize all their milk. We bottle fed them, and got the milk from them (frozen), and also mixed it with powdered kid replacer. Both my does have popping (clicking) knees, and I just noticed it today! OK...I'm starting to freak out over this. After I noticed it, I went in their pen to get a closer look, felt their knees, and walked one of them. After I let go of her chain, she playfully jumped up on her big wire spool (even tho she's 3 mos. pregnant!) She doesn't appear to be in any pain. Neither one of them do. How is CAE detected? Blood test?
    - Kathy (who's really worried now...)

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Question: are their knees SWOLLEN? Or just clicking? Read the stickey on CAE on the top of the thread list on this forum...