Poppies

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by AlaOutlaw, Sep 17, 2006.

1. AlaOutlaw

AlaOutlaw Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if it is illegal to plant Poppy seeds in a flower bed? I was givin some Turkish Giant seeds but they are the Opium producing kind and I'm not sure if I should plant them or not. I have looked online but apparently the laws concerning this are unclear. They would be beautiful in the flower bed but I don't want to go to jail or get in any trouble over them.

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

From what I have read recently, I don't think it is illegal. Processing them for opium, however, is.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one in any of the various media, so you might want to continue to check it out.

Most people wouldn't know an opium poppy if it jumped up and bit their noses. Me, I'd go ahead and grow it and just not let anyone know what sort it is.

Pony!

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Had a friend whose mom a few decades back had them all pulled out by the police. Let me know if you find out- I abstained from bringing the seeds back from England assuming it's illegal and I'm also in AL. They actually grew them as a field crop on the Hampshire chalk where I lived (someone figured out the dirt is similar to in Turkey) but made lovely bedding plants in my garden.

4. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey AlaOutlaw;Opium Poppies have been deregulated.They are Legal to grow.It is however still illegal to make slits in the unripe seedheads and harvest Opium.
    It takes an acre of poppies to gather(slave labor)enough raw opium to make an oz. of heroin.Not cost effective!-

5. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I grew them for years as an ornamental and never had trouble. I knew of a guy who got busted for them locally, but he had been makign slits in the seedpods and growing other stuff too.